I need help. My corgi's aggression is out of hand. I have done all positive training in the past but now people are telling me that she feels like she is the boss. She listens when I give her commands she eats last out all all the animals yet she is always reactive. If I tell her "out" of a room she will growl at me escalating until it becomes a stand down where she is growling snapping and generally extremely aggressive. It is the same way if she is on the couch and I tell her off. Recently she will also turn around and snap if you pet her on her feet or even for no apparent reason. I know I need professional help and I'm calling a trainer tomorrow. I just don't know what is setting her off and how to calm her down. It has gotten to the point where we are afraid to pet her. I never saw this coming. She would be a brat now and then but as long as I didn't escalate it she would take her time out w/ minimal backtalk. Help any suggestions out there?

Views: 5582

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

try keeping a leash on her so you dont have to touch her and you avoid being bitten...dont let her win...if oyu say out and she growls, pick up the leash and lead her out, try to catch her in the act of jumping on the bed or couch, dont let her on it unless you invite her up, if you see her getting up correct her and set her out of the room, then if you can sit on the floor and pet her...getting on the couch and in certain rooms are privilages, set bounderies, rooms were she isnt allowed, and keep the doors close and she is only allowed in wen you invite her, remember you are the boss, you control her feed (try feeding her out of you hand), and if she growls at you or snaps at you when you try to pet her, take her food away, take a toy, remove her then the toy, if she says no you cant have it, well then you say o yes i can and you can not, and then reward her if she lets you do anything like petting her
Hi Lauren thanks for the suggestions. I've started the NILF ideas and it seems to be helping a little. It is just her reactiveness I'm having trouble with. I've also cut back on a lot of the bennies like no more furniture and such. One book I read suggested treating on and off the couch or bed and that seems to cut down the anger when I send her to bed. I'll keep working thanks
Rebecca, Have you heard of NILIF (Nothing in Life is Free). It's what I use with Timmy everyday. Corgis can and often will become bossy, especially in the period around 2 years of age. don't know what it is, but almost everyone goes through this and perhaps since Clive had a less than stellar childhood there could be some other issues as well

I noticed that you got him in Sept from Second Chance Rescue, I would contact them and let them know you're having this issue. I would also ask them for a referral to a behaviorist or trainer experienced with Corgis and their nature. You could start the NILIF tomorrow morning. First understand, that nothing he wants will be had or given without complying to some command, i.e. sit and down are most often used. I prefer the down command. After he goes down then he can have, dinner, a pet, walk, playtime, snuggle, belly rub or anything else he like or wants. When I started I even fed him by hand, one kibble at a time. No more food bowl, until he understood that I was in control of everything. It sounds cruel or uncaring, but it's exactly the opposite. It establishes you as the clear leader that Clive really wants. Right now for some reason he feels that he needs to be in charge.

Other posters on here can probably give you additional advice, but the one thing I can't stress enough, is don't use physical force to get your point accross. It will only escalate the responses you're getting now.
Rebecca, I'm so sorry to have confused the name of your beautiful girl Reba with that of another member who's bio I happened to be reading. I apologize for the confusion.

The NILIF principles are the same though. And along with Charlie I am curious as to her issues. Have you ruled out physical causes? Sometimes pain can cause new aggressive behavior, also. Just a thought.
The NILIF techniques which Sylvia recommends are a great way to regain control. If you go to Yahoo or Google search engine and type in "NILIF", you'll find lots of articles describing the techniques. I would start that immediately.

It does sound like a good behaviorist is also in order, so I'm happy to hear you're calling one. I'd be curious to know if they diagnose her with fear aggression or dominance agression, as they'll be able to tell by watching her in her home environment. The way to handle aggression will differ depending on the source (fear or dominance). Either way though the NILIF should help. Keep us posted.
Does you corgi get enough walks / exercise? walking can be a great bonding exercise, when she is on the leash, you have the power to control which way shes goes and she have to listen to you. I found by exercising more with my Mocha, he listen to me more.
Yes! :-)

I always say, the best kind of Corgi is a dead tired Corgi. :-)

Lots and lots of exercise is good for Corgis and their humans. :-)
Einstein used to be TERRIBLY aggressive when he was a pup and I was desperate for him not to be an aggressive adult. He would attack me when I got to close to his food so I ended up taking his food away and then when he was calm I'd set it back down and he'd have to WAIT for me to tell him it was ok to eat. But the second I got growled at the food came back up. I did that about 5 times till he got the point and after that he would always wait to be fed and stopped growling at me. It was so simple! Now, treats were another issue-he bit me quite a few times over chewies and things like that. I NEVER let him get away with it but training at Petsmart with the drop it/leave it command really helped with that. He doesn't growl or snap over any treats or toys anymore. He knows by now, if he growls or bites he loses his treat. The rolled up newspaper comes in handy when I catch them eating cat poop. One thing I really can't tolerate. Not a huge Sunday paper roll or a real hard whack but the noise alone scares them enough and it works quite well. BOTH my dogs growl and snap over sensitive spots though like their feet or hind end. I can't clip Ein's nails-he gets the look of death in his eyes and really wants me dead when I do it. We've had many a battle over the nails. Not sure what to do on that one, except not give up. Now he goes to a groomer. hehe! Ein's gotten better about being touched in most places but Daisy still throws a total fit when anyone tries to hold her or rub her belly. Hopefully she'll grow out of it. I know it's a dominance thing-they're brother and sister so I can see their attitudes are the same. Anyway, the leash idea is a good one too. I'd just say to do what works. But try many things and don't give up. Don't let your dog think you're weak cause they're totally take advantage of that. And walks are great for releasing that pent up energy corgis can get.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service