I've started obedience training with Foxi, she has done farely well so far(its our 4th session) We went last night and she did not do so well this time. She seemed very distracted and kept jumping up on me in a very anxious manor, I thought maybe she had to potty but she wouldnt go when I took her. I know that corgi's get bored with repetition and maybe thats the case too. Anyone else have their corgi's in obedience training?

Views: 90

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

4 years ago when we first got Vienna, we brought her to the same petsmart classes that mocha went to, Mocha did great and got his CGC in no time, but Vienna was distracted, she likes to talk in class and sometimes we just have to put a time out on her. She is now 4 years old and i have to say that she is a lot calmer, she walks better, very attentive and loyal. Give Foxi sometime, she might be having a bad day in school, find out what motivates her and use positive reward :)
Welcome to puppy adolescence! Charlie's going through the periods of inattention too. It's a normal part of the teenage months. One day, everything I've taught him seems to go out the window. The next day, he performs his obedience skills better than ever. On top of adolescence, Corgis do get bored with too much repetition.

Keep training and be patient with her lapses in attention. She is learning (even if it doesn't seem like it), and adolescence is fortunately a phase they outgrow. At the other end of "teenager", you'll end up with a very fine dog.
Thank you guys for the encouragement!!! It helps me out alot to know its mostly a matter of patience(for me) and growing for her. I guess the frustration with her adolescence is alot better than dealing with my own teenage children!!!! hahaha! At least with Foxi, I know she can learn some lessons I try to teach her where unfortunately my own kids just want to try to figure life out on their own!!!!HAHAHA!(and boy do they have alot to learn huh?)
Moonmystic is Petsmart Pet Trainer and she got our corgis to go into the down position. It is a bit different for corgis because of their short legs and she can tell you how. I'm afraid that the way I'd explain it that I would only confuse you. Good luck.
Y'all might get a kick out of the video "Teaching Your Corgi to Lie Down". I think it's funny because the instructor never gets the Corgi to lie down. (Wonder why they posted the video on the internet.) She also calls the dog a Welsh Pembroke Corgi instead of Pembroke Welsh Corgi...twice. Good example of "It's not working!" LOL

Charlie was harder with "Down" than any other dog I've ever worked with, I do think it's the short legs. He finally got it, but took lots of patience. We worked the "trainer method" for days with not much success. In additon, when we weren't "working" and he was just lying down relaxing, I'd say "Good Down!" even though I hadn't given him any command. He thought he was getting a "free" treat for nothing, but eventually he associated the word "Down" with the fact that he was Down and started doing it on command.

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/9317_dog-training-corgi-lay.htm
The down is a great one to do just at dinner time. You will find the best downs ever when dinner is the treat!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service