Ok i swear i have the smartest corgis ever!!! i have had them for a month, Abby is now 5 months (today) and Trevor is 4.5 months. They already have these commands down:

*Sit
*Stay
*Down
*Come
*Whistle(Come, Sit, Stay)
*Go Hurry Up
*Go In Your Crate
*Go in The Kitchen
*Ring the Bell
*Go Outside
*Shake (they just learned that today)
*Eat
*Cookie?
*Heel
*Quiet
*Speak (Trevors got it! but abby isnt much of a talker)
*Leave it
*Hold (working on it)
*Get it (working on it)
*Whine (working on it)
*Growl (working on it)
*Wisper (working on it)
*Side (were they lay on there side) (Trevors got it)
*Belly Up (were they lay on there back) (Trevors got it)
*Roll Over (Trevors got it)
*Wheres your belly (they both have it)

Thats it, are all corgis this smart or are mine just extra special

I also have a loder dog who knows all thos plus like 15 more tricks...but i think you get the idea

Views: 156

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My Whippet/Border Collie mix runs in a small circle instead of rolling over. How can I fix this? Any ideas??
P.S. I know...Corgis only...but my Corgi learned roll over in minutes and doesn't need any help. Oh and when he started rolling over before I gave the command, I just backed up the training and retaught him "down". It works.
HAHAH!! Cheater! My dog does that too. Figures out that after a series of tricks he's going to get the treat. If he doesn't like the one I want him to do, he'll do another one, thinking that it's going to the last trick anyway before reward, so he just skips to the end. :)
HAHAHA!! my pups know who is "mommy" and "daddy" too...just to play a joke on my husband once in a while i say "Boscoe, where's daddy?" and boscoe goes trotting down the hall, pushes open the bathroom door with his nose and from the living room I can hear "Come on, Boscoe...get out...Geez" LOL!! it is so funny....and you'd think my husband would learn to shut the door better.
How did you get your corgis to learn the command "Quiet"? If Kona is barking at something, there is no stopping her. She has learned lots of other commands and is definately motivated by treats. I have taught her lots of other commands, but I'm not sure how to handle this one. Any advice???
For quiet you first got to teach them speak. once they got the speak command down you say quiet. and reward them if they become quiet. if they dont quiet tug slightly at the leash and hold out a treat. this will get her distracted and stop barking.
Gizmo only knows "quiet" when he feels like knowing it lol.... he responds really well when my mom says "knock it off" in a really serious voice. One day she said it and he just stopped completely, got really quite and layed down next to her trying to be all nice. We don't know where it came from, must have been somethin in her voice. Sometimes when he is going really nuts i yell "hey!" and clap my hands together really loud just once.... the sound sorta snaps him out of it and he quiets down. I don't use that too often though, i dont want him getting "immune" to it
and for roll over i had him in the down position, i said side, and pushed him over and gave him a treat. and he just knew it. and when i said belly up he just did it, i gave him a treat. and i said roll over he just did, and i gave him a treat. i was pretty amazed it is as if he was a erally well trained dog that died and was reancarnated(sp?) into TREVOR...YAY!!! smart dog
I think all Corgis are this smart, it just takes an extra committed trainer and very 'willing to please' Corgis. My Corgi knows all of those as well. Some variations...instead of Go in the Kitchen, mine is Get out of the Kitchen and instead of Cookie? it's Cheese? So in list style it'd be:
Sit
Stay
Lay
Come
Roll Over
Shake
Speak
Jump
Stand
Out
In
Cheese?
What's that? (investigate)
Fetch
Quiet
Leave it
It took my Corgi all of thirty minutes to learn shake! Awesome. And as for fetch, he knows that names of things, like his ball, rope, baby (toy). I have another dog, she's a Whippet/Border Collie mix and she does not learn the same way my Corgi does, but she's still a smarty pants.
However, if you have any tips on how to teach Whisper, Growl, Belly Up and Where's Your Belly I would LOVE to hear them. I never even thought about those things as being tricks! How fun! I had actually ran out of ideas of tricks to teach my Corgi.
I think my corgi understands a lot of things, but just does what she wants anyway. She knows sit, yet tries to get away with a partial sit when given the command. She knows when I want her to come.. so she'll run away. When I give her the quiet command.. she'll look at me and try to get one little last bark in.. like she has the last word. I took her to obedience class when she was about 12 weeks old. Then when she was about 5 months I had an in home trainer come in and work with her. She is so stubborn and we can't keep our eye off of her for a minute because she will try to get away with anything she possibly can.
LOL! That's so funny, Julie. What's your Corgi's name? She looks and sounds like she has so much personality! That's awesome.
Boscoe does the half sit where his butt won't even touch the ground at all, I've learned to accept it and just consider it as a sit. When your Corgi does sit all the way down when she's just relaxing, does she do the whole sitting on one side thing?
When another dog walks by our apartment and Boscoe starts barking like a mad man and I tell him quiet, he always has to get that last little bark in, it's like a little huff or 'last word' and I always respond with an "Excuse me, Mister?" and he'll walk away with his head down slightly as if to say "nothing...."
Are you going to take her to more obedience classes as she gets older?
My Corgi's name is Boomer and she is quite the little devil. As we speak she is in time out because she just bit one of our cats. (granted this one particular cat has went after her in the past so he kind of had it coming.. but nonetheless she needs to learn to not bite)

It's funny that Boscoe does the same half sit too. I've kind of started to accept it as a sit also. She does sit on one side too. Boscoe and Boomer sound like they could be related. lol She barks like crazy at other dogs too! I try to walk her when nobody else is out walking their dogs because it can get embarassing at times... especially when she goes crazy barking at the 5 pound chihuaha up the street.

I actually have Barkbusters now as her trainer and got the lifetime package.. so they are her trainer for life. Any problems or concerns I ever have with her they will help me with.. so I am going to definitely get my money's worth that's for sure. : )
Did you take a class or read a book? I need training tips!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service