Hey There! I'm new on mycorgi and I've seen a few discussions on food -- but specifically I wondered if anyone had tried AvoDerm. It appears that my puppy may have a bit of a dry skin issue -- so i picked that one out for the Avocado Oil thats supposed to help their skin/coats. Rhett, my new puppy, is 3 months old and I want to change him off the Puppy Chow the breeder had him on. I also was given with some free samples of Bil-Jac -- but I saw that corn was a prominate ingredient which I've also read on here to avoid. Anyone have any advice -- I know some folks do a raw food diet; but I just don't think that will necessarily work for me right now (though I do try to incorporate some fresh foods into Rhett's little puppy diet like apples (no core, skin, or seeds) and raw baby carrots). So I'm just looking for a kibble that I can buy in a Petsmart or something like that; but thats good for him :)

Thanks for the help!

Views: 164

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would personally avoid any of the two or three dog foods marketed with avocado as an ingredient. The Avoderm ingredients may improve skin and coat because of the flax seed and herring meal (Omega 3 and Omega 6 sources that are great for skin/coat).

Lots of independent "dog poison" sites list avocados as a toxin and/or potential carcinogen (cancer) to dogs. The Avoderm marketers see the need to defend their use of avocado as "healthy" by letting you know that it's the bark, leaves, skin and seeds of avocado that are toxic. Hmmm, everything but the actual fruit?

There will always be debate over best nutritional ingredients, so only you can decide. I'd stay away from anything that's too controversial that's only been recently added to dog food...like avocado. The long term effects and toxic levels are unknown.
I have switched all my pets to Blue Buffalo. I buy it at Petsmart. It has no corn, soy, or wheat. It only uses deboned chicken, no meal ie"parts". So far , everyone really likes it, and everyone looks good. One of my cats has a "vomiting" issue, and has decreased to about once a week, not everyday. I have noticed less dander on the cats, and the dogs look really good.
Another food you might consider is Canidae. It's reasonably priced and is an all life stages food. Not sure if it's available in your area. They do have a lamb and rice formula also.

Timmy eats a rotational diet of no grain foods. I rotate his food continously between Solid Gold "Barking at the Moon", Nature's Variety "Instinct", Orijen, Timber Wolf Organics, and Wellness Core. That way he never gets bored and he is always rotating proteins.
Hi Ashley, It's best to avoid corn, wheat and glutens if you can do it. I'm with Carol on Blue Buffalo. It's fantastic. It has no corn, wheat, or soy...no steroids, antibiotics or preservatives...and is gluten free. I joke in training classes that if you read the ingredient list you would think you could put milk on it and eat it for cereal in the morning! And BB has great biscuits, too. They also have an Organic and a Wilderness line, but unfortunately my PetSmart doesn't carry them.

We feed Bil-Jac. It's not as wholesome as the BB, but we have a Catahoula with a very sensitive stomach and the Bil-Jac has been one food that she can eat and not get sick. So... But the kids have done well on it. Their coats are beautiful and they're all at a healthy weight now.

As for skin, try adding a bit of fish oil to the kibble. Also, BB has a fish and sweet potato food that's great for skin and coat. Be sure to brush your dog daily to distribute the natural oils through the coat.
An aside to the Blue Buffalo, you can visit their website, and they will send you a sample of the food to try. My dogs love the bisciuts. This morning, after Augie came in, he frapped around the house like a puppy. He will be 7 next month!!
Thanks for all the awesome advice. I will check out BB food but today I found the Chicken Soup For The Puppys Soul kibble. Its got all good stuff in it and todays test run with Rhett went well (meaning cleaned bowl!). So unless anyone has heard bad things about that one I may stick with that brand!
Chicken Soup for the Puppy's Soul looks like an excellent food! Let us know if your pup's skin improves.

I love this site for independent ratings and well as the reasons they like a brand or not:
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?pro...
When gizmo was a puppy, the first 2 foods we tried him on gave him diarhea... the vet told us to try IAMS.... and he's been on it ever since, never had a problem. We can get it much cheaper at Target than petstores though.
We switched over to Flint River food last year and the dogs here have all loved it. We get the adult/puppy kibble. It has no fillers or animal by-products. You can't get it in petstores, but you have to order it off of the internet and they delivery to your door in a few days. Here is a link for you to learn more about it. www.frrco.com/122634 We also have a link on our web site www.cupidskisskennels.com We are also starting to give our dogs some brewer's yeast and garlic tablets for their coats. plus it helps fight feas we found out the natural way without having to put more chemicals on or in our dogs.
Let me know if this helps you

Thanks
I have been feeding my 15 week old puppies Flint River for several weeks. (A neighbor mentioned that after complimenting the coat of another neighbor's dog, they told her about Flint River.) I liked what I read about it and have been very happy with it. The puppies' coats are so shiney. I'm hoping that it will help with the shedding that I am very familiar with.

I googled best dog foods and have learned a ton - mainly that most of the foods on the shelves are mainly grains with some meat product. I'm going to follow through with Flint River into adulthood, but I may choose a food with even more meat.

I'm interested in knowing if anyone else has used Flint River for any length of time.
We have been using Flint River for alittle over 4 months now. The dogs love it but I couldn't tell if the shedding was less. But I feel it is the best dog food out there we have seen. I even put a link up to flint river on every page of our web site.
Louis had a skin problem too when he was little and the pet store suggested Preformatrin Ultra Lamb and Brown Rice, it's really good - all natural and it helped his coat ALOT ..like honestly, we saw a difference in about a week or 2... pet store suggested lamb because sometimes dry skin can come from an allergy and so lamb was known to be the least that would cause any tummy problems (or so they said lol) but then we gave louis both the chicken and lamb and he ended up liking lamb better, so we stuck with that. =] try the website to preformatrin .... www.performatrinultra.com you'll find all details on the food

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service