What kind of treats have you been giving your pups (both dog and human food types)? I know raisins, grapes, and chocolate is a no-no but what is OK to give them? Steve loves carrots and I'm thinking of trying apples next but is this OK for puppies? Steve likes to play with lemons and oranges that fall on the ground but are citrus OK? I'm hearing conflicting opinions and I don't want to give Steve anything he shouldn't be eating so your input is appreciated!
Switching the types of treats I give Steve is helping to keep him stimulated and wanting to learn new tricks.....

Views: 262

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

now is this because of the ingredients used or just the cheese? lol
I'm curious about giving the pigs ear to a corgi. I was told by a vet that small dogs should be very limited on any type of pork because they are more prone to gastroenteritis than larger dogs. Do you know anything about that? I was giving Sadie a pork chew bone and have now switched it over to a beef based one although she liked the pork one better I think. Thanks for any input. Shelby
We give Roxi pig ears all the time. Though we're very active so she burns off all that fatty goodness on em lol. So far she's been very happy with them (though she can only have one a day but we tend to give them every now and then as a special treat)

So I haven't seen any issues with em at all.. though Im sure all dogs are different. Its a good question and I never really though of it.
Pigs ears stink. They MUST be eaten outside, we learned the hard way.
For the sake of not starting a new discussion I found this post :)

Thinking about it tonight I wanted to toss out one many might not use ;)

Growing up with my father he enjoyed eating sardines (*hears all the EEEWS*) so naturally I grew up loving them.

If you enjoy this lovely stinky treat a good thing to do with all that left over oil is to pour it into your corgi's dish.

The oil is good for your pups health and their fur :) they also get a lovely boost of energy a few minutes after eating it. (boiled eggs do this too btw) Be sure to mix it with their daily meal though for it can upset stomachs if eaten alone :( I wouldn't recommend using the mustard or hot oils as well.unless your corgi is weird like mine and likes hot stuff.

And fair warning.... stinky bunny butts may follow as well.
Believe it or not, I've found that my girl loves ice cubes. She loves to toss them around in the air for a bit before chewing them up. And since they're calorie free I can still give her 'real' treats after she's done with her ice. For food, carrots are great, and lately papaya has been a fun choice. She loves them both. She also occasionally gets a piece of cheese, which I'd say is her favorite thing in the world. She goes crazy over cheese. But we rarely give it to her because of the high fat content. We limit her to the occasional bite sized piece.
Theo loves ice cubes too! I was surprised because he used to hate anything that was cold, but spends a good minute or two showing the ice who is boss before munching it down. So cute!

Theo LOVES cheese. If he smells cheese, all attention is on you, as he sends telepathic signals to your brain to hand over the cheese. Hehe. And if you give him cheese, he swallows it in one bit, never taking his eyes of you, as if to say "thanks for the morsel, I'll take some more please". It's hilarious!

Second would be peanut butter, of course. In terms of store bought treats, he likes yogurt drops, or any meat or peanut butter flavored soft treat.
My dog eats anything. She loves tomatoes. I've had her about 8 years and even though I know what she isn't allowed to have, one time she got into and ate a stocking full of chocolate and an entire tube of antibiotic cream. She didn't even blink and had no ill effects but now i make sure that my sister doesn't leave stuff lying around anymore!!
I know there is some controversy around Greenies, but Oliver LOVES them. I make sure that he chews through it completely each time. He'll roll over with me asking him to just to get one!

I also feed him fruits on occasion - he'll eat apples, oranges, mangoes...
Far as I know apple is okay, but apple seeds are not.

Ein loves anything you'll give him, but generally the only human food he gets is the occaisonal carrot or cheerio. He's finally down to a normal weight, and I don't want him to chub up again, so we don't really give many treats. To them, a breath tab or a vitamin is a treat.
I don't give my dogs any people food but Ihave experimented with many different brands and types of treats made for dogs. What my dogs go wild for are "Buddy Biscuits" by Cloud Star. These are tiny treats--soft or crunchy--(the soft treats come in a bag/the crunchy in a box) made with "only healthy and wholesome ingredients" --per the manufacturer. They are a bit more expensive than some other brands but my dogs absolutely love them and because they are so small I can give them 3-4 treats at one time and they think they are getting spoiled! (I heard somewhere--sorry can't remember where--that PIGS EARS should not be given to dogs. If I recall right, the reason is that most of them come from foreign countries, namely China, where strange additives are usually part of the manufacturing process).
My girls love carrots and apples. Never have had any problems.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service