I have heard that haveing this much white on a tri is a good thing, that not many tris have it. Is this true or was i just misinformed? Also just a random question do all corgis or atleast pembrokes have that trademark whitle going up the back of thier neck?

Views: 72

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

AKC Standard: "The outer coat is to be of self colors in red, sable, fawn, black and tan with or without white markings. White is acceptable on legs, chest, neck (either in part or as a collar), muzzle, underparts and as a narrow blaze on head. Very Serious Faults: ... Mismarks--Self colors with any area of white on the back between withers and tail, on sides between elbows and back of hindquarters, or on ears. Black with white markings and no tan present."

Looks like from your first picture he might be a mismark (judging from how far down his back the white appears and the white strip down his side connecting to the leg). However, your second photo from the top looks like he may have a normal collar. It also doesn't look like he has any brown except on his head. Hard to really tell from the photos.

Feel his withers. If the white is growing between his withers and tail, he is a mismark, or if any of that white strip on his side is behind his elbow. I also think he needs to have some tan on his legs, not just his head (but I'm not 100% sure on the tan).

Even if he is mismarked, he can still certainly compete in agility, flyball, etc and get points. Mismarks (and other faults) are only disqualified from conformation shows.
Check out the picture of the Corgi that won Best in Breed at Westminster. Very similarly marked with less tan and maybe even more white. It is also marked similarly to my new puppy. White areas tend to get smaller as a puppy ages as well--although that is not always the case. Is this one you are considering? Here is the link to the PWC Breed Class Video. http://video.westminsterkennelclub.org/player/?id=216413

Here is the 2008 Best in Breed PWC
well his whole undercoat is tan. i still would like to show him just to see were he woukd come. any tims on starting?
I thought about this year's Westminster BOB right after I posted. Thanks for posting the picture. Some of us were actually a bit surprised by the choice. She is a good example of an almost maximum acceptable white and mimimum acceptable tan. You can barely see some tan markings at her elbows and back of her legs. (Too bad the handler is wearing a black skirt...hard to really appreciate the dog's topline.)
I was surprised by the choice as well, but I really was taken by this little girl.
She is a pretty girl! And of course the judge was looking at the "total" dog not just color markings: topline, bone structure, bite, head, eye color, gait, temperament, etc.
I was so excited to see her win! Seems like the judges where I go to shows prefer anything but a black head!
I don't know. It looks like he may have the maximum white without being a mismark (and some show ring judges might consider him a mismark). The white spot on his belly coming up his side would be a bit of a concern, but since it extends only to the height of his elbow and not above it might be passable.
His collar appears to be quite normal. This is certainly not rare at all. Regarding white collars on dogs some folks love the flash some people dont. The collar for some crates an illusion or either a longer or shorter neck depending on the conformation of the dog. White attracts the eye but for some this may not be the area that they are wishing to call attention to. In the big picture it is the structure and movement of the dog that will give him honors in the show ring and not the addition or absense of a full white collar.
I don't know about showing, but he is sure a CUTE dog! What a sweetie!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service