I am getting a corgi pup Easter weekend. I do not care what sex I get as I am going to let this pup pick me. I did this with our border collie Cherokee and she has ended up being the best dog ever. What other advice do you have for me?

Views: 94

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great question! In my case we picked the dog according to our lifestyle, we wanted a dog that could hold their own, confident, not shy, friendly, we didn't want a high maintenance "shadow", freak out when we're not around, low self esteem one. So in our case, we didn't pick the first one that came to us, we didn't pick the ones that didn't show any interest in us, we picked one that was larger built than others, strong, but not demanding :)
funny story... i never wanted a corgi. i thought they were weird. my (ex) boyfriend of 6 years has one and gizmo, i'm sorry to say, is a waste of space. he's always sick and pretty dumb. he's not nice at all. not even to his owners.

so imagine my surprise when my mother gets one!!! we've wanted to get into the dog breeding business for years (not happening now, we just don't feel that it would be right right now) so she got a little girl loulou. so, when lou was about 4 months old, we called all the breeders in the area and set up 3 different meetings to see all their little boys. i was being realistic about it and knew that i might not find one that day. it was important to me to make a connection.

so we meet this first breeder. he has two little boys who are 7 weeks old (and filthy). and wouldn't you know it... the FIRST one i picked up, i knew it was him. i had his back against my chest and he just absolutely laid back against me. we're talking arms and legs out and went limp. i patted his belly until i turned him around and held him. you'd think the kid had never been snuggled before the way he loved on me! it was PRECIOUS!!! and he was calm (which he isn't now). i held his brother just to make sure but no. i knew my baby boy. i'm a lucky mommy...
First you need to decide just what characteristics you wish in your next companion. If you wish to compete in agility you will look for a far different personality then you would for a companion dog. Me, I like the most "middle of the road" pup in the litter. While I love to train I have no desire to compete so a good moderate dog works for me just fine. It is good to go and watch the litter interact with one another. See who is the bossiest, see who hangs back most frequently, see who is comfortable interacting with most everyone. My newest pup is most middle of the road. She was happy to come and meet me but was also confident enough to go exploring. She wasnt a scrapper with the other pups but certainly didnt run and hide either. She was curious to her surroundings, reacted to noises but not in a timid fashion. She was comfortable being held without struggling. I was able to hold her legs and feet, feel inside her mouth and hold her on her back gently stroking her with very little negative reaction. So far she is growing up exactly as I hoped.
Sam, you just described my dog exactly!! I have 2 border collies and 1 Australian Cattle Dog. I like a dog with a bit of attitude, but not one that is going to challenge me all the time. A dog that is a bit of a jokester would be good and one that can hold his or her own when we are out in the barn with the barn cats, dogs and cattle. This pup is pretty much a companion dog but we go alot so I need a dog that is not shy and not a couch potatoe. I am really excited it has been quite awhile since I have had a puppy in my house, I get first pick as this litter is from a friend!!
Hey Tracy - When we went to look for our baby , i wanted a boy , wanted to name him Henry .When we got there ,we saw a cute Tri-color male , he was so cute ! Then ,little Brynn came to me . I kept putting her down, and she kept coming back ! The breeder told me someone had a deposit on her ,so that solved that ! LOL
Brynn still wouldn't let me go , i was getting sad that she was spoken for . Then the breeders daughter said she looked like another one so they let me take her ! So , Brynn picked me ! I am so happy she did , i have done that with my cats in the past as well ,and have always been so happy with the out come .:))

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service