This may seem like a silly question, but here goes...

Two of our corgis - Moira and Rudy - seem to meet breed standard pretty well: full coat, nice top line, foxy face and ears. The other rescues not so much. The corgis you find around here (and most are backyard breeders) have a different coat and look. The faces are longer-snouted and the coat harsh and not so full. It's still obvious that they're corgis, but different. Does that make sense? Okay let's see if I can put it in pictures...

This is Maddie. She and Dundee both came from a puppy mill breeder in North Alabama. And it's a BIG kennel.

And this is Rudy. Notice the difference in appearance.

From what I read of the breed standard, Rudy would be more in line with those standards. (Of course, Rudy was bred with a Welsh bitch and an English sire. So I expect him to be closer to actual standards.)

Anyhow, any thoughts on how this occurs? And if the difference truly is the breeding, how do we go about trying to stop backyard breeders?

Views: 817

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry, I wasn't too clear. I did mean the xray SHOULD be done because you can't tell if a dog has HD by the way it moves.there are some good moving dogs out there that are dysplastic. And that all breeders should do OFA (or Pennhip) on dogs before they breed them,
I have always xrayed my dogs even if they were never bred, because I run them in agility and want to know the status of their hips and elbows. :)
All of our discussions on puppy mills and BYBs... Just wanted to update you on a situation here. We had a doggie boutique that sold puppies. First, they were in our neighboring county. The county animal control folks got wind of how sickly and poorly kept these pups were and ran them out of town. So they set up shop just across the street from our PetSmart. Same story. Thankfully, the SPCA and animal control had someone contact them with information on their "back room" and the conditions of the dogs. Yep, they were shut down again. Thank Goddess! And I've seen a couple of corgis come out of their shop. I'm glad that our local officials took the complaints to heart and investigated them. It's about time.
I didn't comment on this when I first read it, because I don't really know anything about it and couldn't really answer the question. But now I have to respond, because of a dream I had last night. I dreamed that I was... somewhere... looking at dogs. I don't know if I was at a petstore or a shelter or a rescue group or what. But there were lots of different breeds of dogs, and I was looking for corgis. This place had 2 "smooth" looking corgis like Maddie, one that looked more like Rudy, and one that looked about half-way between Rudy and a fluffy. Okay, maybe 1/4 of the way. Basically looked like Rudy but with slightly longer hair sticking out all over the place. I don't remember anything after an employee asking me what dog I wanted to look at.
Wow this is so appropriate for me as LO gets questioned everday about not looking corgyish. Max looked like Rudy with a friendly face, kind eyes and a deep chest. LO looks like Maddie, longer snout, bigger ears and his expression is not as friendly/kind. I got Max in 97 and he passed away in Aug, LO I got in Sept (yes a very emotional buy) both were pet store buys. Max was 6 months when we got him so I didn't see what he looked like as a small puppy.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service