We are thinking of adopting a little Corgi/Austrailian Shepherd mix puppy. She will be more than 11 weeks I believe.
I was wondering since we already have a Corgi and he is almost 2 years old, what's the best way to train this little one coming into a home where the older dog is left to roam the house while we are at work?
My husband and I have never trained a puppy. Duke was 7mos when we got him and partially pottytrained to go outside. He has it down now. I just want to make this new puppy comfortable, our Duke happy and all this new training easier on everyone.
If anyone has any good websites to go to please link to them on your feedback.
Thanks!! Duke and I appreciate all the help we can get. :-D

Views: 71

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When one works all day it does take a much longer time to housetrain a pup. They are forced to elimate where they are if they do not have access to outside. That being said I have managed to housetrain all of my dogs while working, it just takes more time. I am a great fan of exercise pens. This allows the dogs to spend time together without having physical access to one another. You must be creative to find a way to keep the x-pen from moving around with a jumping pup.
Adult dogs are great to help train the youngsters. The pups quickly follow suit of the routine of my adult dogs. I would always be careful that they not have access to each others food. Corgis rarely share. This can be a trigger for fights down the road. I would highly suggest that both dogs be spayed/neutered. Extra hormones are the cause of many problems with dogs. Provide a good exercise outlet, teach both dogs basic obedience commands and make sure you have good solid rules in the home. Good luck!
Thanks. I'll check into the X-pen. Duke is neutered so we would definitely fix the new pup. Thanks for the advice. It will be hard and trying, but rewarding to have a new pup and someone for Duke to love on too. He needs a little friend to run and play with when we go out and just in the house.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service