My boyfriend and I are bringing home two corgi pups this weekend, a boy and a girl. I've read books, magazines, and internet articles trying to prepare for this but I know it will still be a big adjustment!! Does anyone have any helpful hints they wish to share? We will take any input we can get!

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All I can say is that I have a group for people that don't have corgis yet but that really want them and there are only two of us and we could help you-not sure if we can though.:( Well I think this is the part about getting a dog and especially a corgi! It's all the excitement!
Wow! that is exciting. Having an older corgi, the best advice from me would be to start off with a good diet and make weight maintenance a priority. As you know like any dog corgis can get over weight, and more weight means more stress on the hips,knees and back(which corgis have problems with due to their structure). Also when I first got my corgi(Havoc) at 2 years of age, I would take him on hiking trails for hours. I thought he is a dog and the more exercise the better. But really all thoughts big rocks and slippery hills corgis are not built for, and their dwarf bodies have to work that much harder. Anyways if I could turn back time I would still have taken him on the trails, just not as much or as long.
Thanks! That's definitely something for me to keep in mind. I do a lot of rock climbing and was really looking forward to taking the dogs into the woods with me. I'll just make sure to only take them to areas that don't have too long of a hike in.
Take lots...i mean LOTS of pictures. The puppy years (months) only last so long. I wish i took more pics & vids of my bunni before she grew up.

sleepwalking:
Also expect to take late nights, early mornings, and middle of the night romps to check up on your puppies. It will take extra time out of your schedule, but it will be worth it.

toys!
toys galore! i guess since they're an intelligent breed, corgis have a short attention span and get bored easily. rotate often. With bunni in puppy mode, she was always more interested in the toys than in us. until she realized that we made the toys more interesting. Once they start teething, nothing is safe. since you'll have 2 fuzz balls, they'll keep themselves entertained.

...Like a hawk.
housebreaking will sometimes seem like it will break you. you will develop that mother's eye...watching your corgi's every stubby move and breath.

barking.
nip this in the bud...butt...er...butts or...whatever the phrase is...just nip it.

training
nothing is cuter and more rewarding than showing off a puppy's tricks to friends and family.

enjoy!
oh man this brings back memories :) It was only a few months ago that my boyfriend and I went to "look" at two corgi puppies for sale and 2 hours later were sitting at home looking at each other while this little pup ran rampet around our apartment lol

First thing.. get that puppy used to its crate.. your first night will be easiest if you start introducing it a 'home' for it instead of a bad place. I would throw in a towel or something that smells like you or ask the seller if there is something you can take back so the pup isn't "alone" when its left for the night. Sometimes this calms it down and lets the new parents sleep longer hehe.

Second let the puppy explore the house.. there will be time to set boundries but the first day it should become familiar with everything. If its too shy build a bond by walking it around or leading it with a toy.

(sorry im writing as if you're getting one its just what im used too lol)

Lots of touching! The best way to start off a well mannered pup is to touch it. Be gentle but usually if you handle its paws gently... pet its nose.. tug lightly on its ears.. just lightly almost massagin like.. later on in life you wont have a screaming dog while at the vet. Also start getting it used to those nail clippers and brushes and tools.

Training can actually begin in 4 weeks of a dogs life.. for now I would focus on normal behavior.. no biting.. walking time.. feeding time.. basic good dog behavior. Once your little ones are starting to get a good focus I would then start of the other traning.. but do it in 10-15 min time frames. A dogs attention span when that young is next to nil lol. I would also decide what type of 'no-nos' your'll do. Some people tie their pup up to leashes hooked to the wall for time out and some people leave their dogs in the crate for 5-10 mins.. (after about 10 mins dogs forget why they're being punished and just get bitter and confused) The crate training I will leav up to you as well.. everyone has their own opinion on this so you will hear people tell you its horrible and people tel lyou it worked. So I would leave that to your own judgement call.

Because you will have both spend the same amount of time with each pup :) If you train one to sit for 10 min then do the same of the other. Pups will get jealous and act out... pretend you have twins almost.

Feeding.. I would make a regular sched. and I would research a good food brand. 99% of the time if you go to walmart.. safeway.. food lion.. choppers.. their food selection will have nothing that is good for you're pet.. you'll be shopping at mcdonalds lol. Though some people who can't afford it mix good brands with the cheaper brands.

Corgis will also abuse a good situation.. if you dont want to feed your corgi human food for a while and you have friends that will snitch that pup human food.. that friend is your corgi's best friend forever and ever after that lol. OR! another example... if your saying NO to another dog your corgi might see a good moment to steal that other dogs treat and slink away with it lol. like a little ninja.

Another thing to know is that Corgis are really intelligent. You have to get creative sometimes to keep thse little one's minds stimulated. I would recommend getting mind toys (busy buddies) or if you cant afford I sometimes take a coke bottle.. rip off all the plastic stuff pop two holes in the sides and fill it with treats, put the top back on, instant mind game :) stuff like that you cant leave alone with them though so throw it away once its been chewed on too long.

ummmm *scratches head* you just have ot keep at it.. puppies can be a little overwhelming sometimes but thats the joy of having someone else with you as well.. if you feel overwhelmed its better for you and the pups to go "hun.. Im hiding" lol take a 10 min hehehe. cuz its really like having a kid.

Also when training keep it fun. if you're stressed your pup wont enjoy it and always end it with a trick that pup already knows so it remembers that training is fun and will want to do it again.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask any questions one here :) No question is too wierd.
In addition to the good advice given here, I'll add that if you have never previously taken a dog or two through basic obedience, then signing the pups up for Puppy Kindergarten will give you the best start. The trainer will teach you the basics of positive training methods and be there to help you and answer questions about any specific problems that might arise.

Other than that your pups need from you lots of love, patience, and a good sense of humor. Expecting them to make a lot of mistakes at first will keep you from being surprised when they start to squat on the carpet, chew on the sofa, or nip at your heels. If you want your adult dogs to be your best friends, then you work on developing the trust and bond during puppyhood that lets them know that you are their best friend. They are likely to bring you more joy than you ever imagined. Congratulations!
Oh goodness yes! Puppy Kindergarten was great. Its also a fun thing for a couple to do :) Since there are two pups in this situation you each can take one!
The only thing I would add is early socialization. one of my favorite past time is taking the dogs to petsmart / petco. It is a great way for your dog to meet other dogs and strangers, after a good 30 minutes, you will feel wonderful because a lot of people asked you what kind of dog it is :) Enroll in the classes, even when you're not in class, stand on the side and watch the class, you'll definitely learn something. Go to the playground, kids love dogs and it is a good way to teach your new pup how to behave in the presence of children.
Thanks so much for all the help, guys! I feel much more confident about this knowing that I now have a place I can come for some help! =)
Very important to add that each pup needs some time one on one. We usually discourage getting littermates as often their bond with each other becomes much stronger then their bond with their humans. This makes training a bit more difficult as well as their desire to be with you. Attentive owners can make this a successful situation if they spend the required time training, socializing and providing activities with the pups singly. Do remember too that they should be spayed/neutered at six months of age. When hormones start even littermates can grow weary of one another. Accidental breedings of littermates could be heartbreaking.
Tips for the new Corgi owners:

First, congrats! Corgis are adorable, spunky, friendly dogs. There are a couple of things that are really important for them.

1. Make sure you have LOTS of toys. My Gizmo gets bored easily.. and when she gets bored, she chews on the edges of my carpet, my shoes, socks, books off my bookshelf.. anything she can sink her teeth into. Curb the destructive behavior before it starts, and provide tons and tons of toys for your little ones to choose from.

2. Make sure you instill respect early. These dogs are independent. While they may learn tricks quickly, they'll challenge you often, and "get even" when you've done something they don't approve of. It took months to break my Corgi of peeing on my BED when she felt I wasn't providing her with enough time and attention. Be sure to spend lots of time training your pups so they have a firm understanding of who's boss and who makes the rules.

3. Kennel/Crate training. This has been a life saver for both myself and Gizmo! It's a safe place for her, and is perfect for if I have guests over who are uncomfortable around dogs, or need to do some Corgi-free activities around the house. I'm sure having each other will help your little ones out, and hopefully they'll be less inclined to whine the first few weeks.

4. Get them a non-kennel Corgi space. Whether you decide to kennel train them or not, they need their own space. I'm not sure why, but I've noticed with most Corgis (not just Giz), that they seem to love the little round beds that you can get at Walmart for about $15. Just beware. If you send them to "bed," they WILL try to be clever and sneak their way off. Sometimes I'll check on Gizmo, and find her with just her back toes still on her bed, and a smile on her face that says "what?? I'm still technically IN bed.."

Enjoy them. They need lots of exercise and stimulation. Corgis are awesome dogs, once they know the boundaries. And, as others have mentioned, take lots of pictures. Especially while their ears are floppy!! Those are pictures I wish I could go back and take more of..

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service