Dingo, our 2 year old corgi, seems to have a leakage problem. Whenever he sits in the chair or bed, I notice a wet spot when he leaves the chair. He is also constantly licking that area of his body. He just went to the vet last week, and I wish I had noticed this last week so I could have asked the vet. Anyway, any ideas or suggestions???

Thankyou

Views: 281

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello. The first thing I thought of was urinary incontinence, but that usually start in dogs 6 years and up due to hormone levels. So thats out of the question. Next would be either a badder infection or crystals in the urine. Both of this problems would cause irritation, make Dingo lick that area and dribble urine. Your next step would be to go to your vets and get a urinalysis done. This will tell you if there are any red/white blood cells, PH level, bacteria,mucus and signs of crystals. Good luck...hope I could be some help. Let me know how things go.
Poor Dingo! Rebecca answer sounds right on. Your vet should check for a bladder infection, and though neuter-incontinence is unusual in younger dogs, it's not out of the question. Only your vet can give you a good diagnosis. Urine is fairly caustic and can burn the skin, thus the licking. You might be able to help him feel more comfortable by rinsing that area in the tub or using baby wipes until you can get him on a suitable treatment.
I would take him back to the vet. There are several medical causes that may be at work here. He may have a urinary tract infection.
Thankyou everyone!! I think your all correct. I will need to make another appt for him. He is just getting over a double ear infection poor guy, he still smiles all the time thou :)

We love our corgi's don't we???
Probably a bladder infection, you should take him to the vet again.
How is Dingo doing now? Did you find out why he was having the problem?
Here is a simple possible solution, do you notice that this only happens within an hour after he goes outside? I noticed that many male dogs have a little tuft of hair that guides down parrallel and surrounding their "stuff". In reality it is a usefull piece of hair because it helps direct the urine so he doesnt pee on himself. This hair can get wet and leave drops when he comes inside.

Not sure if that is it, but it could be, who knows.
This could also be a simple case of incontinence. I just picked up a rescue Corgi who has this issue. (probably why nobody wanted her and she was there since January) She is a three-year old former breeding dog (puppy mill:o(.)The Rescue organization's vet suggested that she go on Phenylpropanolamine Hydrochloride and they gave me a big bottle. She has been on it for about five days and we are not seeing improvement yet, but we were told it could take a little while. We have not seen our vet yet, but we will later this week. Right now it is disenfectant wipes for the hard wood floors, baby wipes for Fern and a special antimicrobial incontinence pad for her kennel. The rescue vet did not find an infection, but no doubt we will cover all bases when we see our own. One caution for you...don't use "puppy pads" for him to lay on to catch the urine. They are scented to encourage peeing. Use the pads that are made for people...they are even cheaper than the ones made for dogs. Good luck to you. Hopefully it is a temporary condition fixed quickly. Let us know how it all goes.
My first thought is a urinary tract infection. We suspected that our collie had a uti recently because she was constantly licking herself and she was peeing much more than normal. Every time we took the dogs out, she'd be in several spots, and this is a Little Miss Priss who is normally very particular about where she goes. I took her in to get tested and the poor girl peed on the floor as soon as we walked into the vets office. And I was worried that she'd be stubborn and not give them a sample. Silly me. Anyways, sure enough... uti.

If Dingo seems to be peeing more that normal, I'd strongly suspect a uti. Let us know what the vet says.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service