Wyatt is the sweetest and cutest dog but at times he can be very vicious. He bites alot, for example if I try to take something away from him he will bite. Just this morning, I was calling Wyatt where are you and I couldnt find him so I figured he was up to no good so I kept calling Wyatt come get treats....than all of a sudden he jumps out from inside the entertainment center cubby and attacks me and bit my finger, he is very aggressive and mean. I told him "No" bad boy. Now this is not the first time he has bit me, I really think there is something wrong with him, my dad says some dogs are just mean and thats what happens when you buy them from the pet store, but I really think Wyatt is just a puppy and will learn. Does anyone have any advice for me or tips on how I can help my baby. He is my life and I love him and I want him to grow up loved and happy.
Thanks, Erica

Views: 99

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wyatt needs an entire new outlook on life and you need to learn what it takes to be a good dog leader. Do some research on the Nothing In Life is Free program. This should become a way of life with you. Wyatt is a bossy and pushy fellow and needs to learn very quickly that this behavior is not to be tolerated. Taking a class will be most helpful. Putting him on lead and tying him to you around the home will be most helpful. This enables you to make quick corrections as well as decreases his freedom to hide from you. Having more controlled exercise will be helpful. I disagree about leaving a chain collar on a dog as they can be most dangerous should they become caught or tangled on something. A well fitted buckly collar should be all you need. Wyatt will learn if you are frequent, consistent and patient in your training.
With all due respect, I believe that it is unsafe to recommend alpha rolling a dog. There are positive and effective ways to regain leadership and get respect from a dominant dog. An inexperienced handler can get seriously injured, or risk hurting the dog, with the alpha roll technique. If all else fails and a professional behaviourist believes that rolling the dog is the only remaining last resort, then the owner should be shown by a professional the correct technique. Please do not alpha roll an aggressive dog unles you have had previous experience with the technique, and have tried the preferred methods first.
The flip side of an Alpha Roll:

http://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/The_Alpha_Roll
ahh guarding issues. I went through that with my corgi.
I took him to obedience training and and with a little work he is now the perfect boy (with a loveably naughty streak haha)
I found you can negotiate with your corgi, offer a trade, and praise them.
If hunter had something we didn't want him to have he used to grab it and hid under the table and if you got near him he would growl and snap at you. but now that I taught him that I will trade with him, he gives everything up, and you don't even need to give him a treat after a while, a good boy is just as good for him.

I highly suggest you take them to a few obedience classes, I really think they will help.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service