I think Maggie has developed allergies. She is scratching herself more and more and I am finding scabs on the inside of her ears where she has broken the skin. The scabs don't seem to be blood...I think it is that clear liquid that is emitted to seal off a minor wound.
She also scratches her rib area with her back feet a lot. I do not see any irritation on the skin.
I search and search her for fleas and have NEVER seen a flea on her.
I am wondering if it could be her food. I feed her Nutro Rice and Lamb (dry). Could she have an allergy to rice??? I'm wondering if I should upgrade to a better food that is even more meat based?!

Views: 157

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a corgie with allergies. She dosent have fleas. I went thru changing food to head and shoulders shampoo nothing worked. Finally I took her to the vet and she has a once a year allergie that she takes prednazone for 10 days and it gets rid of the itchies. Her allergies usually start up at the begining of summer but the meds stop her all summer and she is fine during the winter. There is also a shampoo my vet reccomended called Malaseb shampoo worked wonders her
All great info...thanks!
Hi Todd. Maybe Maggie has allergies. Allergies are hard to figure out. Could be due to many things. Maybe its her food, or the shampoo you use to bather her. Dr. Hart recommends a very mild soap-free shampoo. I use Hydra-Pearls or Pearl-Lyt. It's very mild, smells good, AND it never dries Bonni out. It doesnt leave a residue that would maybe cause them to itch. It could be seasonal allergies like our friends had said. Prednisone works definitely. But its a corticosteroid. It will reduce any inflammation, itching, swelling, redness, allergies, etc.
But try to only take it short term. This stuff has side effects--like appetite changes, nervousness, anxiety, increased urination, increased thirst, stomach upset, unusual tiredness or weakness, immune suppression, growth suppression. But if its low dose-short term, it should be ok. And Maggie should be tapered off of it. =o)
Bonni got some allergies last year... runny eyes and ear infection. And she was on a course of Prednisone.
I switched Maggie's food and I think I am seeing a difference! I am feeding her Blue Buffalo, fish and sweet potato. I researched it and read a lot of testamonies. I'm hoping that the fats from the fish are better for her skin. It is made with brown rice and had a nice amount of added vitamins.
The scratch wounds on the insides of her ears have healed and I think she is itching MUCH less and I have not noticed her biting at herself.
Hopefully the progress will continue!
That's great news! Glad she is doing better!
Hi there, I've experienced the same with my gal, Brianna. I had been only feeding her the Nutro Lamb and Rice, which worked for awhile. But, after time she developed the scabs and itching again. So during a visit to the Vet, it was mentioned to me if I feed her the same food all the time, she would develop an allergy to the food. The Vet went on to say, switch the lamb and rice with the fish and sweet potato from time to time. For the past while, I've been switching her back and forth between the two types of food. It's helped alot!

Good Luck! Keep us posted to her progress...
Ein has seasonal allergies. Well, really all three of my dogs do, but Ein is the only corgi.

Every spring and fall, he chews his legs and feet to bits. I would call your vet and talk to them about it. Ein has frequently been put on a prescription called Temeril P that really seems to help his itching and make him feel better. Before we moved, our vet knew us well enough that all I had to do was call up and say that Ein was scratching himself to pieces and he'd tell me to come pick up some meds. No appointment needed. Before going to the prescription meds, we always try Benedryl first and that often helps to. I hate to give out medical advice online, so the best thing to do would be to call your vets office and ask what dosage to give.

It won't solve the problem if it's a food allergy, but it's a way to reduce her itchiness and help figure out if it's environmental or food related.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service