I have been reading a lot about the benefits of these nifty little treat dispensing balls like the Buster Cube, etc. Do you have one that seems to work best for you?

The Buster Cubs looks like it would be very loud on my wooden floors. Anyone have a softer one to recommend? Are they better than Kongs that have ben filled with treats and frozen?

I am thinking about the hours I will have to leave my puppy alone and wanting to give them something fun and distracting to do during the wait. Also, Dr. Ian Dunbar highly recommends using the balls to feed the dogs by putting the kibble in it. Does anyone do this? Can you share your experinces?

Views: 227

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

http://www.doggy-gifts.com/Dog_Toys/Premier_Pet_Dog_Toys

this website has saved my skin time and time again. we use the squirrel (medium) and the twist and treat filled with normal kibble or whatsoever may suit your fancy and peanut butter. i prefer them over kong balls if i may so swear against the noble and wonderful enterprise that has duly saved my ass once it comes to my 9 hour work days. i have actually (and yes, i'm a complete corgi nerd) have timed my little boy and the 4 different treat dispensers and have recorded his demeanor upon receiving each.

http://www.doggy-gifts.com/s.nl/it.A/id.792/.f this one is the best. his favorite and therefore mine. you can put anything in it and cover it with kong stuffing or peanut butter and even if its not frozen, it takes FOREVER to get everything out once it is screwed on to the nines. we're talking over 30 minutes, i got bored watching him, lol!

http://www.doggy-gifts.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1587/.f this one is less time consuming but still great, especially when it comes to putting kibble in there for dinner. it gives him something to do when he eats. but we put those savory sauces and any treats in there and freeze it and its oh so happiness.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750610 this one is great too. just the savory sauces and whatever treats you can stuff in there. he loves it, and it takes him about 15 minutes! plus, my favorite thing to do, and this ups the time to about 45 minutes, is we plug the little hole at the bottom with peanut butter, put a lot of kibble in it, and fill it up with chicken broth (psycho dog yumminess) and freeze it... its just freaking sweet.

and lastly, and the one that takes the shortest amount of time (unless you block the gi-normus opening with a bone or something which is highly recommended i can't seem to find. its basically a big red ball with several bones shaped openings.

bottom line is that you're not gonna find a miracle treat dispensing thingy that will be groundbreaking and entertain them for hours on end (trust me... google is sick of me and this particular subject, lol!!!). but these are the best alternatives that i have found.

also, look at the kong treat dispenser! its on a timer, and it costs about $120 bucks, but if this is something you are looking for, the treat dispenser is the coolest thing you could hope to find!

hope my geeky list helps some, lol! its helped all my other friends who have dogs. try to google kong ball recipes. you will find more things than you can possibly remember, its pretty sweet.

seriously though, use the twist treat for hardwood floors and a guilty parent, its the best thing i've ever found (i've used tupperware, ice, kibble and had a puppy poop out little plastic pieces and got lucky as hell we never got any blockage.....)
I've given Roxi toys ranging from a coke bottle with holes punched in it to the busy buddy bottle. It didn't matter how 'special' it was she just loves the challenge of getting the treats out.

Whatever you buy just take the time to introduce it to your pup and let them know something good comes out if they work at it :)
We bought bunni that twist n treat toy...it lasted about 30 mins. the little savage chewed through the purple material.

like avyon does, we put treats or kibble in plastic soda bottles, apple/orange juice containers, water bottles, gatorade bottles...all sorts of bottles, crush it, put the cap back on and hand it to the our little beast.

she's good about not eating or swallowing the plastic...it's just that she leaves sharp little shreds of plastic in our beds.

another DIY toy is to take an old pair of jeans and tie it all up in a knot, with a treat or squeaky toy inside and give it to your corgi to unravel...again, bunni ate thru the denim to get to it. the only thing that has seemed to last are these toys:

Orka Dog Jack- the large one
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/204014/product.web

good dog/bad dog toy line-she rips off the legs/tails but can't get thru the thick rubber
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750991

oh. to think of how much money has been spent on dog toys...only to be shredded and thrown into the garbage. is it worth it? there is no doubt.
Love that little devil! The soda bottle idea is so cool!

Do you worry that you are teaching her it is ok to chew on your clothes by giving her your old jeans?
Not really.. you have to establish differences as well. Basicly the "If I give this to you.. its yours" sort of deal.

Also if you tie it in knots like Jason said there seems to be a difference that they notice unless you tie your own jeans into knots lol!

I use old tshirts and sox myself for tug toys.
I do have the buster cube, and my dogs love it. I also have part of my house with hard wood floors, and I would never let them have it on it. (If it gets stuck somewhere like a corner or something they will dig to try to get it out). They also have busy buddy twist treat release toy that I will put kibble in, Kong’s, the Busy bottle, and a Teething Kong’s that I put string cheese and penut butter on. They get these when I leave the house, and all I have to say is kennel, they jump in tails waging and they love it.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service