both of my dogs eat the same food, same amount, similar activity level. My male corgi is slim and fit, however my female corgi is having the hardest time to lose weight. Our Vet recommended us to feed her twice with half a cup each, hopefully that will stimulate her metabolism.

Does your corgi need to lose weight? any tips to share?

Views: 10244

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gus is about 32 pounds right now and i think he could loose a pound or two. he gets 2/3 cup of dry food in the am and 2/3 cup in the pm. and what ever he can find in between.... but he also has made a race track in the back yard so he gets plenty of exercise in the day and in the evenings we walk or play ball at the park....they need their exercise for sure from what i have read and have been told a "Pembroke" corgi should not be over 35 pounds!!!
I agree, exercise is very important. I'm lucky, I have a big yard that my two play hard in, plus regular walks.
I'm completely amazed at how much everyone is feeding! An adult dog is normally fed once a day. A puppy is fed, after 4 months, twice a day. Unless your dog is into agility and is VERY active, there is no need for multiple feedings. The addition of treats makes it even worse.

When we adopted Moira, she weighed in at almost 47 lbs. She was a tub. She could barely walk. She could barely breathe. After a few months on Bil-Jac reduced fat food and limiting the amount, she is down to 30 lbs. We still have about 4-5 lbs. to go before she's at optimum weight. Tank has gone from 45 lbs. to 34 lbs., but he is a Cardigan mix and I would expect him to weigh a bit more. Right now he is at optimum. Dundee has been on regular adult Bil-Jac and has gained to 25 lbs., which is where he should be. The only one of the group getting two feedings is Maddie, but she is only 8.5 months old. In two months, she will go to a single feeding each day.

(By the way, Moira was on the green bean diet prior to coming to us and had gained 10 lbs. while in foster.)

The best things to do are: (1) Find a HEALTHY food. Read the ingredients. If it's mostly grains, ditch it. Dogs need protein (meat protein). Any health nut will tell you that protein builds muscle and burns fat. (2) learn to limit food intake and treats. You're not helping your dog giving them cookies and biscuits. Our dogs get one, yes that's one, treat each night at bedtime. No more. Their food intake is monitored to maintain healthy weight. It is crucial that their weight is maintained so they don't develop bone, joint and back problems. (3) Get them active. Even if it's simply a half-hour walk each day. It will benefit both you and your dog.
I prefer a twice a day schedule even for the adults. Of course, you have to be careful managing quantity of each feeding, For me it's a personal preference, it is also how we feed the critters at the vet I work at.
If I skip a meal (my dogs get 2/3 cup twice a day) it bothers their little tummys and they end up vomiting stomach acid or bile. I'm not kidding. I think it's better to break it up into 2 meals for digestion sake and energy. They always have more energy after eating. It's their play/walk time. But I suppose a dog could get used to anything as a person could. If I were to only eat once a day I'd be completely miserable though.
I feed mine twice a day also. Katie would die..or drive me nuts...if she only got fed once. Cody goes with the flow, eats when Katie says it's time, goes potty when Katie says it's time...etc. LOL I feed mine raw for the most part. They get about 3 oz in the am and maybe some fat free cottage cheese for dinner...just a spoonful and usually 1/4 c tomato or veg juice a day. And treats. :) They both need to lose a bit. Cody just a pound or so and Katie about 5 lbs. I should quit the treats, I know.
It is so much easier to maintain their weight when I feed kibble but raw is better for them. When they get kibble it's between 1/4 -1/3 cup twice a day.
I think it's perfectly fine to break up feeding into two sessions, as long as you are still feeding an acceptable amount of food, not just doubling the intake. Sully gets a 1/2 cup twice a day, a mid-day snack of either a yam jerky strip or some other healthy treat, and small homemade cookies (recipe on my blog) throughout the day and at training sessions. We keep him trim (28 lbs) because he is extremely active and in competitive sports which require jumping, etc. He also gets a spoonful of yogurt/veggie baby food/pumpkin puree/low fat cheese on top of his kibble regularly. This helps with any diarrhea due to stress from traveling/showing.
I feed my two smallish size males 28 lbs, 1/3 cup of California Natural dry food mixed with 2 TB yogurt. The gobble it down but aren't beggers. The vet feels they are the right size so I guess its the right amount for them.
I'm one of those "bad" owners who feeds "grocery brand" food. *blush*

When Ein was a puppy, he hardly ate anything. You could leave his bowl out all day long and he'd just graze. Then he was neutered. And turned into a pig. We switched him from Nutro Max puppy to Nutro Natural Choice Adult Lamb & Rice (when he was 10 months), thinking that the switch would help keep him from gaining so much weight. Nope. So we went to Nutro Natural Choice Lite food, and he STILL gained weight.

Moved out of my future fil's house and got our own place. Money was tight, so we temporairly went to Beneful Healthy Weight. His weight went down. More fillers means less nutrition which means he can eat just as much without the weight gain. Then we adopted Tucker, a lab mix. Tucker has an extremely sensitive stomach. He didn't do well on the Science Diet that came home with him, and he certainy didn't need Lite formula. If anything, he was too skinny. So we got some Beneful Healthy Radiance and he did fine. Once Ein's weight was under control, we did some experimenting. Tucker can eat Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach and Skin, but not regular Pro Plan, but Ein (very slowly) gaining weight back. He's more active now than he was when he was an only dog, but he is still relatively lazy.

So we use Beneful Healthy Radiance. He gets 3/4 of a cup, twice a day. Premium brands just seem to be too much for him, at least the premiums we have tried so far.
Just wanted to add that Ein is currently 27 pounds. His highest weight was 32.
I must be really lucky because Penny started free feeding herself and is in great shape. We fill the bowl when it gets empty and she eats when she is hungry, sometimes a whole bowl at once sometimes half in the morning and half later in the day. I always thought it was a breed thing but I guess it is dog specific.
Also wanted to add that I've tried feeding just once a day in the past, and Ein will tolerate it (though he doesn't like it), but Tucker didn't do well on once a day feedings. After anywhere from 14 to 18 hours after his meal, he would "vomit" stomach acid. It didn't matter how much or how little he ate. He was thin when we got him, so I think the shelter had him on several small meals a day so that he would gain weight, but not get sick from having too much at one time. Even now, a year and a half after we've gotten him, he does it. If I am busy/distracted and lose track of time, Lucas will come in and say, "Did you feed the dogs yet?" If I say, "No, why?, it's one of two answers. Either Ein is begging or guarding the food bin, or Tucker threw up stomach acid.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service