Roscoe is somewhat getting the potty outside thing. When I'm not home or he knows I'm not around, such as when I'm at work or it's nighttime, he's been doing a great job of holding it until it's time. During these times, I have him kenneled in my kitchen with 2 baby gates (I don't have a crate as of yet). The last two nights, which is a 7-8 hour period, he has held it all night and gone immediately in the morning. He's alone for 5 hours or so in the first part of the day, and 3 hours in the latter part of the day, and the past three days or so he's held it until I got here to take him out.

The past two days though, when I take him out to potty after dinner, he'll pee but not poop. We'll wander around for 10-15 min, with treats and me urging him to potty, and I took him back inside satisfied he wasn't ready yet. Then 5-10 minutes later I'll catch him going on the carpet. Is there a difference from when I'm here to when I'm not here - am I somehow sending the message it's ok when I'm here but not when I'm not around? He's 12 weeks old, I've had him for two weeks.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, when do their ears start to perk up? His right one perks up sometimes, his left one is still completely folded down.

Views: 25

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok, here are my answers.

A corgi will ace the potty training without relapse at 9 months to 1 yr old, that is when their bladder be fully developed and able to hold for long period of time. Since he's 12 weeks old and only been living in the house for 2 weeks, he will have lots of relapse from now till 9 months. The only thing that you can speed up the process is get a crate, blocking off the kitchen is a good start, but the area is still too large, a dog will not soil his own crate, that's why they will learn to hold.

The baby gates may not be your safest bet, when we first got ours corgi, they chew through it several times, plus baseboard and a little corner of my dry wall :)
Don't worry about the ears. My Charlie boy had his ears both up at 14 weeks. And one started earlier than the other (take plenty pictures cuz once they are up for good, that's it). My corgi was like that when he was younger, he would pee right away, but then take forever to poop. I think sometimes he was holding it in so he could stay outside longer and explore. But now he's good about it. Just hang in there, keep taking him out and encouraging him to go.

I tell my dogs, "Go doody" everytime we go outside for that, and I also tell them "good doody" when they start going. I think they know now what "doody" is. If they don't go right away, then I walk them around more. Usually the walking around gets the poop going.

Maybe take him inside, under supervision, when he doesn't go. Then take him out again 10 mintues later. He's still a puppy though, so just be patient.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service