Hi guys, I had a quick question about puppy kindergarden. How young is too young for it? I realize that the puppies should have their first shots before going. Our vet said that I might want to wait until she (Kiwi) is a little bit older than 8 weeks. Is 14 weeks ok to bring them? I know this might sound a little ridiculous that I'm asking this, but I just want to make sure that she gets off to the right start in regards to training. Any suggestions would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well i have always trained my dogs at home. but my guess is you want to bring them as young as you can so they get socialized and trained on an early age? well i would say try start teaching them some of the basic comands like sit and down up until they are 3 months and if they have all there shots that should be fine. the problem is the short corgi legs. mine are 6 months and are well socialized but try to stay away from dogs because when they try to play they get beat up because they are just so tiny. so it might be better to wait until they are 3.5-4 months when they get a little bigger. but until then (after he gets his shots) take him for many walks to places like parks, and petsmart, and around your neighborhood. this is their imprinting age make everything very happy, and make sure they get to see lots and lots of stuff
I would check to see what trainers, obedience schools and classes are available in your area then make a few phone calls and see who you are comfortable with, and the age range for their Puppy Kindergarden classes. Most puppy classes in my area have an upper age limit where the puppy become too old for PK. I don't remember there being a lower age limit, but there may be. Class sizes are usually limited, so I would reserve a spot with the trainer you like in advance.
You can observe a few classes at petsmart, they have different instructors on different days. See who you're comfortable with. I enrolled mine and completed all classes all the way to CGC. Check with the instructor, they'll be able to let you know what 's the minimum shots requirement. I think the most important part of a puppy class is homework :)
I know the puppy classes I have looked into say they can come at 10 weeks as long as they are current on shots. Call some places that offer them in your area and see what information they can give you. Our pups are 8 weeks now too and I'm trying to judge whether they will need the kindergarten or if we can get by without it and save a little money! We will probably end up putting them in one but maybe at about 12 weeks. Anyway hope this helps!
I highly recommend Puppy Kindergarden to anyone who has not taken a dog or two through formal class training before. The class is quite valuable to teach you beginning obedience and leadership skills with training methods that will get you and your pup off to a great start. If your pup has any specific behavior issues, the trainer will be able to observe in person and help you one-on-one. It also provides a great place for the puppy to learn dog-to-dog socialization skills, so he grows up liking other dogs. You'll both make some new friends! : - )
I agree. Max is the only dog in our house, so this is a special treat for her. She enjoys going and seeing all her new friends.I tell Max we are going to school and she runs to the door. We have a great trainer who gives a lot of one-on-one advice. I was alittle concerned at first because all the other pups are bigger than Max but they get along great. Petsmart classes are based on the age of the pups. So everyone is learning on the same level. You and your pup will enjoy it. She even enjoys the homework..........
I would find a trainer or facility that you like, and then find out what ages they offer the kindergarten class to. My trainer allows enrollment for puppies 9 weeks old all the way to 16 weeks old (that's just the age for starting the class. Obviously a 16 week old puppy will be 22 weeks before the class is over). If they are older than 16 weeks, you have to get the trainer's approval to enroll.

I started Theo at 11 weeks and the class was so great I'd wished I had started him at 9 weeks. The socialization opportunity with people and other puppies was invaluable, and the trainer also gives a lot of great advice.
Thanks everyone! Vic and I have decided to start Kiwi in puppy kindergarten this weekend. Her first class is today! The trainer said 8 weeks is old enough, and it's a good opportunity to begin the socialization and training. We're so excited to take her today, I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes. Thanks again for all your advice and tips.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service