I have 2 corgis, Vienna loves the water and would jump into the pool with me and have a blast, Mocha on the other hand avoid the water like a plague! He won't even step on water puddles during our walks, he would literally walk around it or jump over the puddle.

How do you teach your dog to swim? any tips?

Views: 137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i think the worst way to do it is just throwing the dog in and/or introducing dogs to water by giving them a bath. For corgis we figure one of the reasons one would get scared by water is by trama when their young. Imagine being short and in a bathtub with the water running. All that noise echoing around you.
If you find a good answer let me know, since the first week we went to the river she loved it. We walked out in the center and called her and picked her up out of the water when she came so she knew it was safe but after that she acted scared of the water...
so Im unsure what happened.
The answer ro most Corgi questions...Treats! I found a kibble treat that floats. I got Merlin a life vest and walked him around a beach throwing treats where he could still walk-I did this several times and when he was comfy with this I started throwing the treat further and further out. Finally when he was very close to having his feet not hit the bottom I took the handle on top of the vest and supported him and gently pulled him a little further out until he paddled-then I took him back to where he could reach bottom. i did this a bunch of times but then our trip was over and I have no access to a beach until next year (land locked in Central Illinois). This takes patience but it seemd to work from Merlin
thats a great idea :)

Ohhhh Does your corgi "quak" when its swimming? Ours makes a funny noise over and over again when its in the water lol "unk unk unk!"
Hedy loves the water. I have had to keep her out of the local ponds this year because of real bad algea blooms. We met Linda at Faust park for the calender photo shoot last year. Hedy has just gotten a bath and was all clean and prety smelling. What does she do? Proceed to go swimming with the ducks!!! So thats where her picture was taken, in the water. Think I found a new breed, Missouri Water Corgi...lol
Good Question...Zed hates the water and will do most anything to keep any part of his fur from getting wet.
Nia always did really well with her bath, but I don't think she'd ever been swimming before until I took her back to my mom and dad's house. They live out in the country with a nice pond in the backyard. I let her follow the other dogs out to the pond and just let her do it on her own. She'd jump in and then jump out and race around in circles, before she actually jumped too far in on her own and had to get back. (She's got a good 3 foot leap on her when she wants to!) It was pretty amusing, watching her trying to get back the first time...you could tell she was on her hind legs and hopping towards shore! That next weekend, we went out on lake and I took her with me. We anchored, and before she even gave me a chance to get in the water, she hopped off herself and just started swimming around!! It was funny though, because she was using her hind legs to guide her in which direction she wanted to go! She'd actually lift one of her hind legs off to the side so she could turn! I would just let your dog start swimming or getting wet on his or her own time. Get in the water first to try to coax them out and let them know that you're going to be out there next to them. Having other dogs around that love water can be very helpful too!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service