I'd love to have Triley work as a therapy dog when he is older. He is very sweet and gentle with people, but needs to work on walking with a leash and other important skills before I take him in for the Therapy Dog qualifying tests. Has anyone had their corgi work as a therapy dog? Any suggestions or helpful hints? Thanks!

Views: 5

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Most pet therapy program will require your dog passing the equivalent of the American Kennel Club's Canine Good Citizen test, and then add further requirements specific to the environments in which the dogs will be working. Typical tests might ensure that a dog can handle sudden loud or strange noises, can walk on assorted unfamiliar surfaces comfortably, are not frightened by people with canes, wheelchairs, or unusual styles of walking or moving, get along well with children and with the elderly, and so on. We got our Canine Good Citizen through petsmart training. Check with your local dog therapy group for details.
Timmy got his certification through a Delta Society, Pet Partner program in our local area. If you go to the Delta site there should be some resources in your local area. Another program, TDI (Therapy Dogs International? I think) also has chapters all over the country. There are also many local groups through obedience clubs or groups. Sam is right, most of the initial skills test is based on the Canine Good Citizen test.
Below I outlined the requirements of the aptitude portion of the test. All of these must be allowed without showing fear or stress.

Overall Examination of the animal (much more intense than the CGC)
Exuberant and clumsy petting (like that of elderly or young children, closed hands, waving arms, etc)
Restraining hug
Staggering, gesturing individual (included evaluators using only louder vowel sounds as language)
Angry Yelling
Bumped from behind (usually by an evaluator or wheelchair; the one time not having a tail was great!)
Crowded and Petted by several people (at the same time)
Leave it (this could be for anything on the floor or that's reachableand interesting;mine was a toy)
Offered a treat-(suggested that all treats be refused)

Check with a local group or you can send me a comment if you need further info. Cindi, also has a Delta Society therapy dog that she works with.

Hope you do check into it. If your pup is a people lover, they couldn't be more happy then when they're visiting. "All this fuss over me!!!" For you, a feeling that your gift of time and service are appreciated and very much needed.
Sylvia,

How old was Timmy when he got his TDI?

My "career" plan for Charlie is to get him into Agility or maybe Flyball around 2 years until he's too old and needs to retire from athletics. His "retirement job" I'm hoping will be Therapy Dog.

He's too young right now to tell what his adult personality will be like in a couple years, but I'm thinking his energy level is going to be too high while he's young for therapy work, but perfect when he's older.

I think it's a really great program for any dog with the right temperament. Congrats!
Hey Chris, Timmy was three years old when he got certified. I had tried and failed the first exam about 4-5 months earlier. We got certified in April of 2006 and are coming up for recert this June. With Delta Society, dogs are required to recert every two years.

Sylvia

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service