Willie has been with me almost 6 months now and he has started to eat his breakfast and dinner way too fast at times and barfs shortly there after. Friday it was all over my bed just before leaving for work *sigh*

He started this when the cats walk between him and the bowl when he is on a 'down wait' before eating. He doesn't bark or growl, just when I release him he rushes to the bowl and gulp its gone about that fast.

So talking with a friend of mind she suggested putting a golf or ping -pong ball in his dish to slow him down by forcing him to eat around it. I didn't have one but I did have a side/dip bowl, (the kind you get when you ask for your salad dressing on the side) I've put that in his bowl and OH MY it takes him almost 3 whole minutes now to eat instead 30 secs. best part is no more barfing. So I thought I would share that problem and the fix with the rest of you as we all know what chow hounds our babies are :-)

Views: 203

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great tip! Thanks for sharing!
Good idea! :) Always good to be 'creative' when you don't have time or can't buy everything at a store :)
Awesome idea. the ping pong ball would die a quick death if i tried that anyway.
LOL The ping pong and side-dish condiment bowl would be eaten as well with Charlie. I have heard of people putting a rock or two in the bowl. I don't think he would eat a rock. : - )
I worried a bit about that but Willies more of a soft toy kinda a guy - beware my dirty laundry LOL!
Great idea. I put large baby carrots (one or two) in with our Corgis food so they have to eat around it to get the "good stuff"--then they munch on the carrot later. It has made a huge difference.
I'm going to have to try this.

Bailey doesn't normally yak after eating...however, she sometimes drinks so much water after eating, which then causes her to yak. I've started to limit her water during meal times.

Does anyone else's corgi drink a lot of water? Bailey drinks her bowl dry! Her water bowl holds about 1 1/2 cups of water and she'll drink every last drop in one sitting if I let her.
Another good idea - however Willie loves veggies in fact I use cut up carrots as treats when we are working on our play dead and roll over. He's got the play dead part down....
This is what worked for me. I would sit on the floor next to Maggie's food bowl. I would make her sit and stay and I held her food and would put several pieces of food in her bowl and then tell her when she could eat it...and then I touch her while she was eating...and repeated the process until it was gone. I did this at every meal for at least a week. I was always calm and casual and never made a big deal about the process..
hmmmm i wonder if this will also help with our Lincoln?

i just posted about how Lincoln inhales his food then chokes!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service