Sometimes I'll be walking Plato and suddenly he'll just roll onto his back and lie on the sidewalk. After a few tugs or waving a treat in his face, he'll get up. He's usually not tired or anything when he does this. His eyes are wide open like it's calculated...We never give him attention when he's in this mode. I'm 99% sure it's a teenage rebellion thing.

Aside from that, he's excellent on the leash (it's always loose and he never pulls or leads). Plato also does this when we have to leave the dog park or when we get his leash out for going outside. I talked to another corgi owner who said her dog does the same thing.

Has anyone found the cause and a good "cure" for this?

It is possible that we have the least motivated corgi on earth!

Views: 176

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In puppy class we used the clicker, it was taught as a last resort "emergency" that your pup must come to you when the clicker is sound. Whenever the clicker sound is made and your pup comes to you, he get a treat. So the clicker is kinda like a remote control, we never abuse it and only use it during emergency :) hope that helps.
Charlie doesn't roll over or lie down, but lately he will find something he wants to sniff so he digs his heels in and refuses to budge until he's "done sniffing". Like Plato, usually a few tugs or waving a treat under his nose gets him moving again (at least several steps until the next interesting smell). My last resort has been to pick him up and carry him five or six steps, then set him down and say "Let's go." If he walks nicely for a block or two, I'll let him sniff a bit when I say so (not when he chooses).

I also do think it is part of teenage adolescence. (Charlie's 9 1/2 months.) He is trying to control the walk instead of letting me lead. My one and two rules for teenage pups are sense of humor and patience...but don't let them get away with being a brat. LOL
When Luna went thru her teenage years we didn't have the "budge" problem, it was the opposite - trying to get her to stop going in every direction and concentrate on one! Now she is fine, but Kai - the good one has periodically done the "budge" - and he's 5! I always look for "signals" from him - he is super stoic - there are certain times when he stops and won't go any further because he's either in pain or he smells another dog that he doesn't want to be near. But he is still a corgi, and when we are leaving the dogs play area, he will at times, plop on the ground and refuse to leave - because he's not done playing yet. For the playtime problem, I put his leash on him and make him come, heel and go - in that stern voice that makes corgi's shudder. For the pain or "other dog" issue, i feel you have to let the dog trust you that you will take care of it, so we turn around and head for home.
Jenny, Ziggy sounds like Plato's doppelganger! Plato used to have a horrible habit of hanging behind to sniff everything or stare at the people behind him. The stick trick does work--I think it's because they feel like they have a job. He's way better on the leash now.

I agree w/ Charlie that it's probably part of a phase. Since the last time I started the post, Plato hasn't tried flopping onto his back once. He's now almost 10 months old.

Something else you could try is keeping a handful of small soft treats in your pocket and feeding them to your dog while he's walking well & checks in w/ you (looking at your face instead of the ground). Plato will become more attentive and focused on me when he knows I'll reward him. Talking to him seems to work as well.

Let me know if anything works!
Oh man! Our "old man" corgi mix will do this! It happened a lot more frequently when he first came to live with us (at age 11). It would happen when I was trying to get him to go someplace he did not want to go, usually back into the house when he thought he was going to get a car ride or a walk instead. He would just roll over on his back and there would be no budging him; since he's mixed with something bigger than corgi and barrelchested, he's 45 pounds of stubborn dog. At times I had to physically just pick him up. I don't know what made him stop doing it, maybe he knows the routine now and has more trust.
The puppy has not done this yet, and I hope it's one habit he never picks up!
I hate it when that happens! A friend of mine said it was a corgi's total submissiveness. It's a way of letting you know that you are the boss and I'll do what ever you say and I will love it. Love me, Love me, Love me, I have had both of my girls do it at the same time. It does get frustrating. It's a corgi thing!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service