Transitions to new homes + where your dog hangs out while you're away?

I recently moved from the city to the suburbs, from a 2BR condo to a house. Oliver was only familiar with the condo surroundings, and I'm sure it was a happy shock for him to have stairs to run up and down inside the house, and a lot more space.

When we lived in the city, we were able to get to the point where he had free reign of the condo. He was completely outside trained, but we kept an emergency puppy pad in the house, that he was somewhat "hit or miss" with. Then, one incident occurred when we came home to vomit and diarrhea everywhere, and we decided we had to keep him locked up with a doggie door in the kitchen.

Now that we live in a house, we tried the same strategy with the kitchen (since the tile would be less damaging than wood floors), but he would not make it through the day like he used to. I figured he was just getting used to his surroundings, and he was still stressed. However, after a few weeks, we were still having to clean up after him. Then our basement was finally finished, so for a change of scenery, we tried him in the basement (also tile), but he still wouldn't hold it all day. I then took a few steps back and decided to crate him all day...which seemed to work, but then when I would try to give him free reign of the basement again, and there was maybe only one day where he managed to hold it. I was starting to get really frustrated, so then I proposed the bathroom. A lot smaller space, but not as confining as the crate. And apparently that seemed to work!

I would ideally like to give my dog free reign of the house, but I am scared for the furniture/rugs.

Do you guys have any thoughts about how to re-house break a dog? I will have to move to another house in the next year again, so I anticipate experiencing this process all over again...

And where do your dogs stay when you're out of the house? Any thoughts on how to keep them comfy without causing havoc on your belongings?

Thanks!

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Apryl,

I would keep him in the bathroom if that is working and if it doesnt then I would do the crate. We still keep Lance in a crate when we leave the house. If he got bored I am sure he would chew something and I really dont want to find out what that something would be. Lance likes to chew especially if he hot bored and being home by himself I am sure would make him bored. I would love to leave him at least in the kitchen area with it gated but I am afraid he will chew my cabinets or doors or something. I dont have to worry about the accidents but the chewing!! No fun I know.
Sid stays in the apartment above the garage, with the bedroom door closed to he only has access to the living room and kitchenette. We also keep the sliding door to the balcony open, and I notice he likes to hang out there when we are due to come home, We put a kiddie pool filled with dirt and some sod so he has a little "garden" to root around in. The idea was if he really had to pee while we were away he would hopefully go there, but I don't know if this has happened. No accidents inside since his tummy aches he had a couple months ago. He's been a good boy; we make sure he has plenty of appropriate chewies after he took the fabric off the front of the loveseat!
We use to have a dog that went to the bathroom in the house if we left him behind and didn't take him with us. But, nothing ever stopped him. My corgi doesn't have a crate, and she stays out all the time. When we leave she usually sleeps all day on our beds. I think its comforting because they smell like us.

I would just crate him and eventually make the area bigger and maybe put a few of your unwanted belonging (Just in case he goes to the bathroom on them) in there with him just so it smells like you guys. I hope everything turns out alright!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service