I don't have a Corgi of my own yet, but plan to get one this summer. I've done a lot of research, read a lot of articles, as well as many discussions on various online forums and blogs, but one thing that I have hard time finding good information about is a good list of similarities and differences between the two Corgi breeds.

From what I've read, the differences I found so far are as follows:
- Cardis are slightly bigger (taller/longer) than Pems
- Cardis always have a tail while Pems maybe be born with a natural bob-tail or have it docked at a young age
- Cardis also have larger, rounder ears than Pems
- Pems come in red/white, sable, or tri colors, Cardis come in all of those, plus various brindle and merle variations
- Cardis are generally said to be more calm, while Pems are knows for their hyperness

If you have anything to add onto this list or to correct it, please do reply. I'd love to hear thoughts on personality differences especially since that's not as obvious as the different looks.

Views: 759

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love pems because they look like cushy teddy bears forever, and cardis look fierce and thoughtful when they grow up, which changes the way others will approach your dog, too. Also, I can get any apartment since my dog weighs less than 25 lbs. You should just go by what you think looks best, because it's personality will be shaped by you anyways! Calm pembrokes and hyper cardigans exist too!

Woohoo 1 more vote for pem!
I love the Pems personally. In my experience, when I got my very 1st Pem, she was a dog that was meant for breeding purposes and working a horse farm. When my friend retired her from breeding, I had the pleasure of being blessed as receiving her as a gift at 8 years old. I never understood, what the hype was about these most unique dogs, until I had her. Fortunately, later down the road I was able to get her daughter. They are very perceptive of your every move, and believe they're humans too, I think. My girls, went everywhere with me too. Upon having my first child, oh my gosh, what a unique bond they made with our daughter. If our daughter cried, one would stay at post, while the other one would come and get me...speak to me....bounce back and forth, until I went to tend our daughter's needs. My daughter had the ultimate relationship with both pem girls. Unfortunately, old age called them to heaven though. Now, I am blessed with our 3rd Pem, Amber and 4 daughters later. She's is just as tentative with all 4 as she is with me. Amber provides great company for whom ever has their crisis or drama going on in our daughters little minds. Amber provides an additional security to our world too. Anything out of sorts, she goes to investigate, and returns to get me if its not right. My family loves Amber dearly, and she is certainly a member of our family. She's added a great amount of happiness to our lives since we got her at 4 months old....Amber will be 3 the 1st week of April. We look forward to all the years ahead of us to keep her healthy and happy and especially give her loads of love.
I have heard about the Caridis that they are more clownish is their antics and the Pemis (which I own 2) are more impish (which they definitely are!). I'd like to have a Cardigan one day along with my Pembrokes, love the welsh corgi's I don't think you can go wrong with either if you get him/her from a reputable breeder!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service