Okay, I've searched for some info on here for this and I need some advice. We are planning to pick up our new puppy this Saturday. He is 11 weeks old now. Well, this afternoon his breeder emailed me and said that one of his ears had fallen (they had been up so far) and that she wanted to let me know just in case. She seemed a little worried in the email. Now, I've read that sometimes the puppies ears will fall again if they are teething, has anyone had this experience? I'm not even sure I'd care if one of his ears stayed down, but that she thought to email me about it. What do you guys think? Should we opt for another puppy from the litter (I had my heart set on this one...). Has anyone had a Corgi that had erect ears that fell and came back up??
Thanks guys!

Views: 19730

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Alice, just curious, how old was your cute puppie when you started taping him? How many days/times you had to do it?
He was 14 weeks. I taped and left it on for a day (that's about how long it took him to mess up the tape) then took it off for 3 or 4 days then taped again. Each time his ears made noticeable progress and I would wait longer and longer between tapings. i think I taped a total of 5 times and the last time he was 19 weeks old.
Thanks again Alice. She spent the night OK with the tape and I will probably leave it a couple of days... very curious to see if stands though...
Alice, Charlie, Parker and everyone that gave information on corgi ears: THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! Today I woke up and took of PIPOCA's tape and you know what happened? It is UP!!! Cannot believe it!!! We are very happy and we partied a lot with her!
I have updated her picture with her "new" ear!!!
That's great! If they start to go back down just retape. Sometimes they will start to droop during teething since all the calcium is going to their teeth. Feeding a little extra calcium (such as some cottage cheese) can help with that. Finn's didn't go down during teething though so you may not see any changes. Congrats to you both!
One of my puppy's ears (Moe) has never stood up and he is two. I do think the cartilege is getting stronger as it will stand up from time to time. I read some article about using mole skin to strengthen it, but you have to tape it up and to the other ear with duct tape and it just looks aweful! I couldn't put him through that, so his ear still falls. But I think it gives him character! :)
It looks funny, but the mole skin/duct tape method is fairly widely used as an example of how to tape. Mole skin has absolutely no glue, so it provides a cushion and keeps the duct tape from sticking to the fur and ear flesh.

http://www.phi-vestavia.com/EARTAPING.htm

The good thing with this method is that you can cancel your cable or satellite tv, put the dog on top, and get reception for 250 channels. (just kidding...)
Hey everyone! I knew I'd get some great advice from you guys! We are not going to show our dog, we just want a buddy. But I got good news today! The breeder emailed me to tell me that his ear was back up again! So I figure he is just teething! But I've decided that I really don't care either way what his ears do, if he's the puppy for us, he's the puppy for us, pointed ears or no pointed ears.
There's no health problem related to them having flopped ears, is there? I haven't ever heard of one, but I thought I'd ask just to be on the safe side.
I'll be posting new pics tomorrow of our new babe! We'll see what his ear is doing then. :)
Your pups ears will most likely come up on their own, and you won't have to worry about it. : - ) The only health problem is the much higher incidence of ear infections in dogs with flop ears. The air can't circulate and dry the ears, so flop-eared dogs are more susceptible to yeast and bacterial ear infections. You just have to do a little more cleaning maintenance.
Nice that she contacted you. Did she tape the ear? Sometimes pups ears do fall during teething especially if they have larger ears with heavier ear leather. If they have been up all this time I suspect they will stand again if there was not injury from pups playing. I certainly would tape them. No promises but I bet they will.
I got Loki when he was 9 weeks and one of his ears was flopped down, but I knew it'd pop back up and within 2 days it was perky as ever! It's never fallen back down again, so it might not last very long at all.
I have two corgis. Our champ has perfect ears, and out rescue cogi has ears that go up and down, At first the the "up then down" ears really bothered me, and I thought of taping them and discussed the problem my vet. I decided to let the ears stay just as they are, and after eight months of living with them, I hardly notice her ears. She has that bossy corgi personality, and we love her just the way she is. On the other hand, if you are thinkig about showing the dog, you may think differently.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service