My family recently put weed-killers in the backyard. Is there a brand that is non-toxic for dogs? Kaycee is a frisbee-catching, dirt-licking, ground-rolling corgi...and always has dirt in her mouth after play time. we always spray her and rinse her mouth out but I'm worried that the anti-weed solution that my family puts out is harming her...

thoughts?
safer brands ? or is it okay?

Views: 94

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Did it say anything in the label? I would check the label and see how it affect the animals.

There are several things you can do to get rid of weeds naturally.

1. boiling water, pour directly on top, it will kill anything.
2. vinegar, spray directly
3. salt, sprinkle on top
I don't use any weed killers, and have found that just keeping a very healthy lawn with regular fertilizer will smother out most weeds. Also mowing stubborn weeds down usually weakens them and helps the grass take over. I do always water in grass fertilizer very well as it can burn the paws. If I wanted to go more organic, I would switch to raking a thin layer of compost across the lawn.

There are some organic weed killers on the market. If you spread a corn-gluten based product in the Spring and Fall, it will keep weeds from coming up (pre-emergent). There are also some non-toxic products that will kill weeds after they have come up.

Link: http://www.emilycompost.com/nontoxic_herbicides.htm

You can also find homemade weed killer recipes, most of which use lemon juice and vinegar with a quick internet search.

My dad always had the most beautiful lawn in the neighbor, but was always fussing and pulling weeds. Now that he's retired, his lawn care is a bit more lax, though he still maintains a gorgeous lawn. He says, "If it's green, grow it. If it grows, mow it." Works for me. : - )

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service