Last night my poor Layla seemed to have a bit of an upset stomach. I hadn't fed her anything out of the ordinary or anything Hunter hadn't had, and he didn't have any problems. Of course it's possible she managed to snag something off the floor while Josh or I weren't looking, but I don't think even that is very likely. I saw her walk over to the potty pad, and she was mostly on but a little off and crouching to poo. I didn't move her because I figured even if she missed a little bit, I could just kind of flick it up onto the pad and she would think she had gone in the right place - because she was legitimately trying!!! Unfortunately her poo wasn't solid enough to flick onto the pad. In fact, it was so watery that when I tried to clean it up it just smeared into the carpet. Then she laid on the floor and looked up and me with this sad little face like she wanted to say, "Mommy, my tummy hurts." I didn't know what in the world to do. I gave her a little piece of cheese, figuring that is a binder for people and might also work for dogs. She ate it, took a nap, and when she woke up she seemed to feel fine and be playing as usual. I am just wondering if anyone else has gone through this? Anyone have suggestions to prevent it or what to do if it happens again?

Views: 937

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Puppies can get diarrhea for all kinds of reasons. Charlie went through three bouts last October, and we never could figure out a reason. I did take a fecal sample to the vet each time for testing.

I would call the vet, and ask about taking a sample in for testing to make sure she doesn't have any obvious parasites (or whatever else they check for under the microscope). While you have them on the phone, ask for an "OK" to give her either Kaopectate or Immodium ID and the dosage amount. You probably also want to put her on a bland diet of boiled skinless chicken and rice (or cooked ground beef, fat drained and rice) for three days, then start mixing her kibble back in small amounts for another 3-4 days. That should help settle her tummy.

We did go through it and the vet was tired of seeing me show up every 7-10 days with my little baggie of loose poop back in October. LOL The Kaopectate and bland diet cleared Charlie up in 24 hours each time, and he did finally just get firmer poops without any medicine. I think I did change his food after the third round...it could have been his food or just a "puppy thing".
You could try putting a little pumpkin in her food as well. I believe it's supposed to firm up their poop, and is very nutritious. My Theo loves pumpkin. :)
Actually I called my mom during all of this and she said, "I know you can give them pumpkin to help them go, but that doesn't seem to be the problem here." She seemed to think pumpkin would do the opposite of what we needed...? But I really have no idea.
I've never given Charlie pumkin. However I have read from numerous people that if the poop is soft/runny, pumkin helps make it firmer and if it's too firm, pumkin helps make it softer. Don't know how it works, but it seems to work for a lot of dogs. I just always keep a package of chicken thighs in the freezer just in case we need to do the chicken/rice bland diet thing.

Has Layla had any diarrhea today?
Pumpkin... the Puppy Regulator? ;)
Well now Layla seems okay and Hunter is having some runny poos. Last night I heard him farting while he was pooing and when I looked his poo was all watery and gross. I will give them some pumpkin but I'm going to switch their food too. Josh had rushed out and gotten a big bag of Purina before I could tell him I wanted them on something better, plus that's what the breeder was feeding them, and they seemed to be handling it okay. But now I'm not so sure.
Sounds like your vet suspected Coccidia...that's what they usually prescribe Metronidazole for...and coccidia definitely won't go away without meds. That's why I kept taking poo samples to the vet until they thought I was a crazy person. LOL

Cassie, I would definitely be calling the vet before a few days with diarrhea...especially the watery type. They can dehydrate and go downhill pretty fast if it's something needing a prescription and being passed between your two dogs. I'll keep my fingers crossed they both clear up overnight!
Well luckily they are due for another round of vaccinations tomorrow afternoon so we can go ahead and get the vet to check everything out then! I forgot about that earlier. How convenient!
In the meantime I think I will still try the pumpkin though - doesn't sound like it can hurt!
bananas and applesauce make natural kaopectate and I know my sister (a pediatric ICU nurse) used this for her puppy at it worked really well. We use it a lot for babies / children in our pediatric unit.
Ah, what a wonder a little googling can do. Here's what I found about pumpkin:

Tip 75 - Pumpkin for cats - pumpkin for dogs - Pumpkin for diarrhea or constipation

If your dog or cat is having the occasional case of constipation or diarrhea, one of the things that might help is canned pumpkin. Yes canned pumpkin in its pureed form (NOT pumpkin pie filling) is a fantastic stool softener which makes it a good natural remedy for constipation. It often helps with upset stomach or indigestion for both cats and dogs. It is very rich in fibre and adding just one or two teaspoonfuls to your pet's food often gets the system moving in no time. Dogs will occasionally want to eat it directly and that's fine too. Sometimes though, finicky cats and dogs won't touch it no matter what you do.

On the opposite end of things is diarrhea. Since the dietary fibre in canned pumpkin absorbs water, it can be a great help to a cat or dog that has diarrhea. Some pet owners report that it firms up their pet's loose stools or diarrhea within a few hours. Again one to two teaspoonfuls is all that is needed.

N.B. It should be noted that both diarrhea and constipation can both be very serious and require immediate veterinary care depending on the cause. Whatever the cause, diarrhea or constipation lasting more than 24-36 hours requires vet care.

You can view the full link here.
And thank you everyone for your helpful advice about puppy poo! =)
Canned Pumpkin! My Dog Trainer recommends this - a few tbsp. in with food is supposed to do the trick.
Good Luck!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service