Last night my poor Layla seemed to have a bit of an upset stomach. I hadn't fed her anything out of the ordinary or anything Hunter hadn't had, and he didn't have any problems. Of course it's possible she managed to snag something off the floor while Josh or I weren't looking, but I don't think even that is very likely. I saw her walk over to the potty pad, and she was mostly on but a little off and crouching to poo. I didn't move her because I figured even if she missed a little bit, I could just kind of flick it up onto the pad and she would think she had gone in the right place - because she was legitimately trying!!! Unfortunately her poo wasn't solid enough to flick onto the pad. In fact, it was so watery that when I tried to clean it up it just smeared into the carpet. Then she laid on the floor and looked up and me with this sad little face like she wanted to say, "Mommy, my tummy hurts." I didn't know what in the world to do. I gave her a little piece of cheese, figuring that is a binder for people and might also work for dogs. She ate it, took a nap, and when she woke up she seemed to feel fine and be playing as usual. I am just wondering if anyone else has gone through this? Anyone have suggestions to prevent it or what to do if it happens again?

Views: 937

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All of my dogs have had the runs plenty of times. My vet always recommended some canned pumpkin or a little of cooked rice and of coarse it worked.

Dogs getting the runs from time to time is normal. Since they try to eat almost anything.
Oh my, the trials of being a puppy parent! The third day we had Triley (and the first day I was alone with him) his tummy started making bad noises and then he just ran to the front door and had a diarrhea explosion. I said "Oh Triley" and ran over to him, and so he ran through his pile of diarrhea to get to me and then jumped on me. I considered it a poop filled initiation into puppy parenthood.

Anyway, we took him to the vet and he tested negative for any parasites, but the vet figured it was a false negative and gave us some sort of antibiotic. We also started feeding him boiled chicken and rice. His tummy was okay for a few days, but soon he was having runny poops all the time and they started being bloody (too much strain on his poor bowels!), which really freaked us out. He got stronger antibotics and we put him on a prescription food (I'm sorry, I don't remember exactly which parasite he had or what was prescribed to fix it!). The fancy food helped and eventually he was all regulated out.

A few months later we took him to the vet because of his limp, and they put him on morphine so they could X-Ray his leg. He was given waaay too much morphine (I had never seen a dog looked stoned, but Triley was totally out of it and kept trying to lay down in the middle of the street and moaned non-stop) and then that mixes badly with the pain killers they gave us for his leg, which caused him to have non-stop diarrhea and vomiting for about two days (this time it was Curtis who was alone with him and initiated by poop). We are usually really chill people, but both of us lost our heads when we called the vet - Triley was SO much worse after we took him to see them. Anyway, after ruining two carpets and causing us to use two vacation days so we could watch him, Triley finally was regular again. About a month later he was on antibiotics for a skin infection which made him vomit - good times! SO! Make sure you check the side effects of the vaccines and meds the vet gives your pup - that could cause an upset tummy for sure.

Triley's poops also can be quite runny during a long walk. We think he is just overexcited and it effects his poops. He'll also get a little irregular depending on what he manages to eat (plants, grass, sticks, etc) in the backyard when we aren't looking. I wouldn't be too worried unless the diarrhea goes on for days, becomes bloody or is accompanied by vomiting. If you are worried call your vet (but again, ask about side effects of the drugs they use on your pups!)

Good luck! I'm sure your little guy and girl will be just fine!
Yep, Roxy had it too.... I always give animals plain organic yogurt and canned pumpkin. The pumpkin works like Immodium for dogs, and the yogurt puts good bacteria back in her belly.

When I see diarrhea, I also mix their water as 1/2 plain water, 1/2 unflavored pedialyte. It works like gatorade to keep little poopers from getting dehydrated.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service