omg! so Apollo is 8 1/2 months and lately he will stand in the living room or wherever else we are and just start barking. he will stare at us while doing it. and if we say no bark he flinches and starts again instantaniously. and we have a spray bottle which he didn't like at first. but as time goes on he doesn't seem to mind anymore. and we have tried ignoring him when this happens. but we live in an apartment and are worried about our neighbors. he will do it for 5 to 10 minutes at a time then be done like nothing even happened. any ideas on what to do?!

Views: 38

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok, since the spray bottle doesn't work, try a small can of pennies, shake them and break / distract him from barking. If that can didn't distract him, you can get a mini air horn from walmart, that will definitely get his attention. Remember to re direct him into something good, corgis works best with positive rewards.
I am thinking this boy is in need of an outlet for his energies. One of the drawbacks of not having a fenced yard to play ball, frisbee and just have general romps. Corgis do require a good outlet for both their physical and mental energies. I think you would benefit greatly by finding a training facility in your area. This will give you an outlet for his energies, a better understanding of dog behaviors and help you develop a greater bond with your dog. Do remember that unspent energy often turns in to anxiety and frustration. This is where many behavior problems begin.
we actually started a penny can the other night. it had no effect what-so-ever. and we live in a downstairs apt. with no apt behind us. so we actually hae a yard. and he and sister run each other round. he just does it randomly. it could happen up to 3x's a day. or there could be a couple days of silence before he starts up again.
Grab some treats, and say "Speak!" when he barks (use a hand signal as if you had a sock-puppet on your hand). Give him a treat for a bark or two. Then teach "Quiet!" (you can use a "Shhh!'" hand signal). Give extra treats for quiet.

Also, to Sam's point, make sure Apollo is getting plenty of exercise. Charlie only goes on attention-seeking barking sprees indoors when the weather's bad and we don't get out for our walks and game of fetch or soccer. During adolesence, 6-24 months of age, Apollo will need even more exercise to tire him out than he will at any other time of his life. If you don't have lots of time for exercise, a treadmill is a decent substitute.
I have to say, I don't think running around in the yard really counts as good exercise. Or even other play activities. Dogs need to be tired out pretty well each and every day, and I still stand by long daily walks, done correctly, as the best way to do this. Not only is it exercise, it's a great time to build a working relationship with your dog. Sometimes even adding running, roller blading, swimming, or easy biking can really get them panting! Challenge your dog, and this will keep them more consistent and happy, and less annoying :) This should reduce the barking episodes, and by having a good set of well-practiced commands, you should be able to interrupt the ones that start. Good luck!
Agreed! Bonny said it best, I also don't count running in the yard as good exercise either, long daily walks does wonders, it really affects the behavior, and builds relationship between the owner and the rest of the pack.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service