I have a three year old corgi that already needs her teeth cleaned. My vet says that's common for smaller breeds. I have only had goldens up to now and never cleaned there teeth. I feed her dry food and brush her teeth. And boy does she have bad breath.

Views: 305

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Kirby is also three and I brush his teeth every week with doggy toothpaste that is BEEF flavored. He seems to really like the flavor and only fidgets in the begining and then gives up and lets me brush them. I know that this has really helped Kirbys breath. Maybe a dentabone now and then..so I dont know..I think that you should just go with what the vet suggests since oral care is important for dogs. I heard that bad oral health with dogs leads to heart disease. :(
Yep, don't know why some breeds are more inclined to tartar/plaque buildup. It's not like Corgi teeth are overcrowded like some toy dog breeds. Teeth brushing as part of regular grooming will cut down on professional cleanings...or at least make their job easier and give your dog fresher breath in between.

Charlie loves, loves, loves the chicken flavored dog toothpaste. We brush his teeth at least twice a week, as a special "treat". : - )
I've found that the type of dog food, (dry or wet) really doesn't make much difference in tartar build up. IMHO brushing and raw meaty bones are the only things I've found that really help. Lamb shank or leg bones once or twice a week are great for removing that plaque. Only place the bones don't help with is the canines, and that's where the brushing comes in. Nature's Variety has bones you can buy at a speciality feed or pet store.
Just like some people certain dogs do have a tendency to build up tartar more quickly. I would suggest for a dog that does that daily brushing become part of your routine.
The smaller breeds and the larger breed dogs all have the same amount of teeth, so it's natural for the smaller dogs to develop tarter buildup faster as they have a smaller mouth with all of those teeth. Regular brushing will help with your pets dental buildup, but it's hard to keep up with it (I don't brush my dogs teeth even though I promote it!). My Corgi is about 4, and I already had her teeth cleaned. I did it as a preventative before the buildup got out of control. Dental chews also help as well as other dental products.
HI everybody- Dori had her teeth cleaned today and all went well. Her teeth look fantastic. Thanks for all of your responses and help. We will keep brushing. Jane

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service