Cheez-it slept a good part of the day, he got up and immediately pee'd the biggest pee he has ever pee'd. It was my fault, I put him down for a second to get the leash. Anyway, We went out he did nothing and then we came inside and I kenneled him. So here is the problem.

He went to sleep for another 3 hours, You know as well as I that he has to eliminate. But it is raining. I took him outside and he just shakes and runs to the door and he is really very scared. I am almost afraid he will choke himself pulling the leash like that. He will NOT go in the rain. I helped him out there, he flips out and runs inside. No potty is happening like this.

I brought him in and he is dry and in his kennel, but he's going to pee any moment. What should I do? Need help fast!

Thanks

Views: 410

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Try go out in the rain with him, like under a tree where you can get a little shade.
Make the going out in the rain a fun thing to do! Do a big dance and then run around with him like it's a sunny day. Sometimes they pick up how to feel from you. If you don't want to be there, neither does he. Or you could get a big umbrella and hold it over both of you. Do you walk around or just stand in one place?
Yep. You're either going to have to get wet, or hold a big umbrella over you both. It's a devious Corgi puppy trick, making you think they can't pee or poop in the rain without you standing there. Charlie just outgrew it with the rain we had yesterday...he went by himself like a "big boy" while I stood under the patio cover.

Can't wait to hear how it "comes out". heehee. : - )
Okay, I am right out there with him, he will literally get in the "pull the leash choke seated position" and just stay there. Im not scared to get wet, he just goes nuts and will NOT go to the bathroom. This last time I got him right after a good nap that he had a healthy drink before, and went out to the raniest part, no pavement in sight and just stood there for 1 hour and 9 minutes. Finally he pee's, and I brought the treats with me this time. He is pretty miserable right now to say the least. I cant believe I was out there for over an hour then came in and read this...

"If he doesn't go within a 5 minutes period, take him back inside. Try again in 10-15 minutes"

Well, that would have made things easier!! I'm going to start doing that everytime we go out. (Until he is old enough to go on some walks) Theres little more annoying than waiting for your pup to sniff every blade of grass on the east coast at 3am!!

Thanks everyone.
James, you just made me chuckle. You are going to be a great dog parent. One hour and nine minutes...Wow. My guess is next time he will figure it out. "If I just go pee I don't have to stand in the rain for an hour." good luck James. Cheez-it is a pretty lucky little guy!
I'm chuckling here too. I can't believe you stood there for over an hour. You must be an extremely patient person. I know I couldn't do it! My Bella is a fast pee-er (thank goodness!!)
Maybe you should carry and umbrella (if you don't already...) and like Sam said, stand under a tree or something. If not, you should maybe just stand outside in the rain and try to calm him down when he freaks out by making him sit down and holding his chest gently but firmly making sure he doesn't run and pull hard on the leash. Maybe bring some treats outside...but that might cause a habit.
I agree, use an umbrella and make it fun to be outside in the rain. my corgi hates the rain too and had a hard time getting used to going potty outside, but I just kept on her, telling her to potty that now she hurrys out to pee and runs in the house! Corgi's are stubborn sometimes.
I would just take him out there and stand there with him on a leash, not allowing him to go in or close the backdoor for he can't go in. When we were potty-training Eowyn and it rained, we stood out there with her and closed the backdoor for she couldn't run back inside. She got use to it pretty quick and now, she doesn't mind going outside to go potty in the rain and she loves water now, lol! I think we started and obsession! Patience and consistancy is the key! Good luck!
I'm right there with you, James! Grover is doing the same thing here in Arkansas. Everytime I see rain in the forecast, I know I'll be soaking wet before he takes a pee. I do just what you're already doing, I wait it out. But yeah, I'll start taking him back in after 5 minutes too. Kennel and then try again. Sounds like a plan....oh puppyhood might be the death of me!! :)
Glad it's not just me!
Edison does exactly the same thing and he's a year and a half old! Sometimes he won't even budge from the porch. When that happens, I pick him up and place him in his current favorite pee spot (he will regularly go in the same area of the yard for weeks at a time). The smell reminds him what he's supposed to be doing (you might try this with Cheez-it). Then he'll do a full-body shake and we race each other inside.

Another thing you might try- we hung a bell on a string from our doorknob and trained Edison to ring it every time he needs to go out. (Naturally, it took him 30 seconds to figure out how to abuse this- when the weather's good.) If he *really* needs to go, he'll tell us before the risk of an accident runs too high.

Good luck with your puppy! He'll figure it all out soon enough. Corgis are smart like that. :)

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service