Kodi is our 2.5 year old tri male. About 6 months after he calmed down and got out of his puppy stage, we decided that we wanted another corgi. I did some research and found that males were best suited to younger females, so we got a female sable named Riley. They love each other, but Kodi is more...passive than dominant, and while she has calmed down a lot from the wild puppy stage, she is still more energetic than him and tries to always jump in front of him or climb on him all the time. Kodi has expressed his jealousness by hiding under our bed and sulking, if she gets on the bed too, or by fighting with her. I think their fighting is just play fighting, but most of the time it's Riley wanting to play, and Kodi just being annoyed...but he knows better than to fight back really, he just defends himself. He also does this horrible growl when we pet Riley...like a sad howly growl. Riley isn't the only one he is jealous over...whenever my husband comes and tries to lay down with me or sit next to me or hug me, Kodi HAS to jump in the middle, and if he can't he will sit there and growl! I know he isn't aggressive when he growls, its more of an attention growl...but will he ever just get over it, or do you think he will always be jealous? Also I am about to have my first child in a few months...I hope he doesn't get even more jealous when the baby comes.

Views: 178

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When the baby arrives, you will want to keep the baby and dogs apart at night. So either the nursery door would be closed, or the dogs would be in crates or baby-gated in the kitchen or some other room.
I think a really helpfull tip in keeping good dogs with annoying tendancies (jealousy/chewing ect.) is to simply wear them out. A tired dog is healthy and excercised and should he feel the need to burst between you and your husband he will be easier to control, and repeat control is the key to training. I would make sure both dogs have an outlet for energy (and I dont mean wrestling with eachother), then correct the jealousy issue and be firm with reinforcing training. During the times your not paying attention to them, and they are tired they can bond and hopefully stay that way. You dogs are happy and over their issues, they can be good together and you will have less fussing with the pups and more attention for the new baby. The dogs will understand.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service