The breeder I am thinking about selecting to buy a puppy from informed me today that the mother rejected the puppies when they were born. They are currently 8 weeks old and being raised as orphans. She wants to keep them another month or so to make sure they are doing well enough to be put in a new home.

My question is, how does the mother rejecting the litter effect a puppies temperament and socialization skills? I know Corgi's usually come around a little later than some other breeds, so will the mother rejecting them have that big of an effect on their lives?

Other than this hiccup, I feel completely comfortable with the breeder. Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciative. I am more than willing to wait for another breeder, but If I do go forward with this breeder I want to make sure I am making the right decision.

Thanks!

Views: 351

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As quoted from an email from my good friend (a DVM)

"I would be a little weary. Typically when animals reject their young it is because they sense a physical weakness. It seems cruel, but it is natural. In the wild the mother would rather sacrafice the weakest offspring if they are not likely to survive in order to save food/care for the others in the litter. Could be some issues with the litter as a whole from trauma during the cycles or many other causes. I know of this happening sometimes with puppies, but typically only one of the puppies are rejected. A great deal of care is needed to bring the little pups and typically they can be re-introduced to the mother if they are deemed fit. I would wait and see if they can be re-introduced before deciding on a pup. Occasionally mental illness can cause a mother to reject a litter altogether, in such cases I would be concerned for genetic traits passed (or not passed for that matter)."

I encountered such a little myself a few months ago when I was looking for a pup. I passed on the puppies, (which is always hard to do, but try and keep sound judgement). I did hear back from the breeder and they are 5 months old and doing just great though.

-James
How old is the mother? How many litters have she had in the past?
The dam is 6 years old and she's had two litters in the past.

I am still trying to clarify whether she has rejected any previous litters, or this is her first. I am still gathering information on the matter, but was curious if anyone else has had experience with an orphan corgi.
Well it's nice that the breeder is being responsible and keeping the puppies until she thinks they're ready for permanent homes. I would think the biggest thing you would need to worry about is socialization with other dogs. The mother won't be there to "put them in their place" and teach them the appropriate way to interact with adult dogs. Don't take him/her to a dog park or anything. I would try and find a calm and very patient older dog (or dogs), have them interact and play on a regular basis, so that the puppy can learn. I noticed with my Theo that when he was younger adult dogs would tolerate him for a few moments, and then give him a "warning" that they weren't interested in puppy play.
Great reply JuLo....yes, dog skills would be the biggest issue here. Sadly there is so much lost when pups do not have an adult to interact with. They learn bite inhibition (very important) how to play respectfully and follow the normal dog "code of ethics" There are some physical issues that may come as a result of being fed an artificial diet. Juvenile cataracts can occur. Their immune system would not be as strong due to the lack of colostrum in the early days as well as the lack of their mothers immunity from nursing.
I think the breeder informing you so late in the process would be a concern for me. I recently visited with a litter of pups that have been raised at birth as well. They were both physically and mentally way behind pups of the same age that I visited earlier the same day. The contrast was amazing. The breeder is to be commended for keeping them an extra month however I would inquire as to have they seen a veterinarian yet and if there were any issues medically that you need to be aware of. I think I would also delve further as to why the mom rejected them. Some bitches after having c-sections will reject their pups but most do take them on after a few days. Sometimes hormones play a part in the rejection as could other health issues.
If you have not yet visited the pups I would make a point to do this. The environment they have been raised in is also most important. If they have not been raised in the home I would pass on a pup from this litter. Good luck!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service