I'm so bummed. I had 3 great days with Kirby. He didn't break out of his pen and I came home to a happy dog and a clean house. Today I left for LITERALLY one hour and he had somehow broken out of the pen and shredded my school work. I have 3 huge finals next week and then 2 more the week after, among the destruction were a lot of my school notes. I was so upset, I thought I had finally found a way to keep him confined. Maybe the calming treats really do work, I didn't give him one before I left because I knew I'd only be gone a short time. He also got a 1 1/2 hour run this morning and was pooooooped when we got home. I guess to add insult to injury when I get home when he has destroyed stuff he always pees then runs outside, so not only am I cleaning up all the shredded paper (most of which is really important) I am also having to clean up a line of pee across my living room. A few hours later I set up my skype, left him out, and took Frank on a short 10 min walk. Kirby immediately went for a book on the coffee table and I scolded him through Skype and he was so suprised! Lol. Then he just layed calmly on the couch until we got back. Periodically I would tell him "good boy" when he was laying calming. Maybe I will just start to do this, its what I did with Truck when I left because he used to bark non-stop in his crate, it seemed to have worked to fix that issue, maybe if Kirby gets reprimanded in the act he will stop doing it and when he is praised for good behavior he will start to understand what I'm looking for. Now to figure out how to re-inforce the ex-pen for Houdini

Views: 1018

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, that is them. I noticed they have some for cats, as well. I'd say they are worth a try. You might get some and try them at home first, just to see how they affect your cat. I'd hesitate to use anything for the first time when you are ready to hit the road, but I'm sure you know that. The ones for dogs really weren't all that expensive, so I think they'd be worth an experiment for sure! Apparently Petco carries them too, so if you have one in your area, you might look there.

we are having a lot of success at work with the Feliway phermone spray. We warm towels and the spray the phermone on them for kitties that come to the vet and so far we have been able to draw blood and urine from 2 cats who previously had to be sedated to even touch. A VERY drastic improvement. You just spray it on a bed, towel, in the crate and give it about 5-10 minutes to kick in. Seems to really help. I also think if the calming treats work in the same way for cats as for dogs they are definitely worth trying. They've made a world of difference for Kirby by curbing his anxiety but not changing his personality at all (he is still out of control crazy full of energy, but not destructive or anxious like before)

@ Chris - He's mostly an outdoor cat (since I'm allergic to cats) so these 3 day car trips across Country will be stressful.  I'm reluctant to try the treats  in advance because some reviews indicate they can make the cat less alert or sleepy and I would not want it affecting his survival skills - we have Coyotes here.... I was hoping for feedback from someone who's used them, they look promising. @ Melissa Thanks for the info on the  towel spray.  We lock up our cat at night and I can try a bit of it then to get him used to the scent. He's a big Maine Coon, 14 Lbs. Maybe I could use the spray in the daytime and the treat at night when he'll be in the car alone and the dogs will be with us in the room.... he'll be more likely to eat then.

Totally agree, Anna. I wouldn't want to try it with him outdoors, either. My vet sells/uses the Feliway product as well, and has great success with it. Haven't tried it personally, but I did use the DAP, which is the equivalent for dogs, and it helped Brodie too.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service