Brooklyn was diagnosed with Cancer last week. He is 12 years old and my baby boy. He has a rare one called Leiomyosarcoma. He went in for emergency surgery two weekends ago because the vet found a large mass on his spleen. They removed the mass and his spleen. She sent it off for the biopsy and well we got the bad news. She got a hold of the oncologist because it is rare to find out what we could do. There is a slight possibility that when she removed the mass and spleen she got it all but there is also that possibility that there was a cell left behind. We will not know until something happens. The vets are giving him only 1 to 3 months to live if the cancer is there and we do not do chemo, or 6/12 months with the chemo. We have decided not to do the chemo and prolong what may happen anyways, but to keep him comfortable as possible until we notice he is starting to suffer. This is so hard on us. We just put our 15 year old Corgi down November 1st. Brooklyn is doing well right now. Playing and eating just fine. My husband and I are in two different states right now and he has Brooklyn. I had to move back to Texas and he wanted to keep Brookie for company until we are joined together again in May. It is so hard for me to know that I may not get to say good bye to my bud. It is hard for my husband to look at Brooklyn every day and wonder if and when it is going to happen. Does anyone know of any Corgi cancer support groups? Please pray for all of us. That Brooklyn does not have any cancer in him and that all of us have the strength to do what is right for Brooklyn. Please do not pass judgment on us for not doing Chemo. We really feel that it is best for him to be able to live his life out with out the pain and suffering of chemo.

Views: 1390

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Darleen,
We went through the same thing in 2000 with our previous corgi, Boo. She had cancer, not exactly the same, one called hemangiosarcoma (also a tumor on her spleen). Boo was also 12--and full of life! We did the chemo on her, but I would never judge anyone for not doing it--and I still wonder if we did the right thing! She lived 7 additional months; and at least she was active and seemed to be happy up to about 2 weeks before she died. My husband and I mourned a long time for Boo--she was such a good friend, so I do understand what you are going through. We waited two years before we got another pup; Scout is so different in personality from Boo, but we love him just as much. Good luck with Brooklyn--there is always hope for a good outcome, and if not, just love him and keep him as comfortable as possible!
"There is a slight possibility that when she removed the mass and spleen she got it all but there is also that possibility that there was a cell left behind. We will not know until something happens."

I would cling to this possibility and pray all of it was taken when they removed the mass. Life is but a vapor for us all and even less for these little ones so dearly loved by us all. I concern myself with things of this nature all too frequently and rob myself of the joy I could have on a daily basis. Whatever the outcome, be assured all is in the hands of his creator who holds the keys to the future. Tell your husband to just love him and be with him every chance he has and try not to worry about something we have no control over...tomorrow.
Thanks you for your prayers and thought. We are doing just that loving him as much as we possible can. Funny my husband just told me the same thing you said yesterday.Thank you for your support.
I had not relayed the story of our 15 year old golden/lab cross. Almost two years ago she developed a mass on her hip. We procrastinated having it removed because it did not seem to bother her and at her age going under anesthesia was risky business. finally I did have the surgery done and it took almost 24 hours to come out of the anethisia. Scary. It was cancer--they believed they got it all, but just like your case there is always the possibility of a renegade cell. We still have Tess with us. We did not go forward with chemo--it just didn't seem right. We are truly blessed to have had her for 15 years. She has suffered a couple of strokes this year, but bounces back. She is a miracle. Each day is a blessing with Tess and each day is a blessing with Brooklyn. I for one believe you are doing the right thing.
All of the support I am getting is amazing. I thank each and every single one of you for the prayers and thoughts. He is doing well today. He just started his Chemo Meds called,Cytoxin. I am nervous because of the side effects but the vet feels he should do ok on it and we will have to watch him closely. He will get his blood checked in two weeks to see how his white and red blood cells are. Keep praying for him please. Thanks all.
Absolutely we'll pray for him :) Keep us updated!
This is always a personal decision. There is no right or wrong decision. I currently have a corgi that is near 13 and is undergoing chemo for lymphoma. I know that we are only buying time as there is no cure. Yes, she does have a few down days after chemo but generally perks right back up. We have been able to maintain her weight and she still romps and plays like her old self. She has four more treatments (a total of sixteen) and then we see how quickly the symptoms return. It may be quickly or may not. No way of knowing. She was in a great state of health in spite of her advanced age and has tolerated the treatment well. There is lots to consider when making this decision and one must do what is best for their dog and their family. Surely it comes at great expense to perform chemo and some dogs respond great. Others have a very difficult time. Sending corgi wishes your way and know that your pal is one of the lucky ones to have been loved by your family. While he may leave this earth there will always be special footprints on your heart.
Darleen, you all are in our prayers. Sending positive energies Brooklyn's way. Do keep us posted, please. We're here for you.
Darleen ~ Please know that you and Brooklyn and the rest of your family are in my thoughts. I hope that Brooklyn tolerates the Cytoxin well without too many side effects.
I am so sorry. I'll keep you in my thought and prayers. I have a felling I may get the same results this Thursday. Our baby boy may have bone caner.
Just wanted everyone to know that Brooklyn passed away March 10 2009. His tumor had grown back in 3 months time and it was much bigger. Thanks again for the support. Don't let a day go by that you don't show your dog you love him.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service