I have a 3 year old Corgi, and as most of you know it gets pretty hot in Texas during the summer months. I thought it would be a good idea to get her a summer hair cut... well I didn't realizing that some dogs are not meant to be clipped. Rue has patches of hair on her back and neck that are not growing back. I looked this up on the internet and found the term Clipper Alopecia, it looks very similar to the patches on Rue's back and neck. Has anyone every had this issue? I would really like to hear your story...
Thanks

Views: 14

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, double coated dogs should not be shaved. It actually can make them hotter since it messes with how their hair was intended to work. It also gives the added danger of being sunburned if they are shaved all the way down. I have never shaved either of my dogs for this reason, but I know several people on here have and most will say that after several months to a year or two it looks pretty normal again (depends on the dog I guess). Good luck!
We live in Florida and we do not shave or trim our corgis. We had an Assie that we would trim down in summer but not shave. Not really fond of shaving I have always felt that given time plenty of water and exercise modification dogs would adapt to the heat.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service