Looking forward to my new German Shepherd puppy. I am very excited after reading about so many corgi/shepherd pairings. I am getting her In about 3 weeks. She has some fearful anxiety and I am afraid that it may eventually turn into aggression, so I sent her to doggie camp for a month. The ranch is beautiful, lots of space. They will train me too. Lacey (corgi) and Fiona (shepherd) spent a week together before Fiona went away. They got long okay, but I wanna make sure I know when rough playing needs to stop.

Anyway, I hope they can become good buddies. Hope that Fiona likes baseball and going to little league games, because Lacey and I don't miss any of my son's games!

Again, thanks for the encouragement.

Views: 322

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rocky-

I have a very dominant female corgi, and a very fearful/anxious female shepherd.  They are best friends!  It works actually very well, since Seanna (corgi) is the boss.  She is like a little pistol, and when play gets too rough, she is not hesitant to let Sage (shepherd) know.  Play then calms down a little and resumes.  I think it will work well...especially if the shepherd is a puppy...she'll grow up knowing the corgi is the boss.  

I think anxious/fearful (i.e. neurotic) is a VERY common trait in shepherds. I too had a very anxious female shepherd, and she was trained and socialized from day 1. She was a trained search and rescue dog, would hop in a helicopter no problem, but would sometimes have panic attacks on walks where we would have to call and have somebody pick us up because she was so scared she wouldn't walk. She was EXCELLENT with other dogs though and never once fought with another dog even when provoked. If Lacey is a well adjusted corgi she will probably do a lot to help build Fiona's confidence and help her be more relaxed. Our shepherd was a completely different dog when she had my big confident mutt as a buddy, much more outgoing and less prone to neurotic shepherd behaviors.

I think it's good that you're introducing them while your shepherd is still a puppy.  I got my corgi 8 months ago and my shepherd is 6 years old.  My shepherd has always been aggressive to other dogs (except for ones he grew up with).  He was absolutely horrible when we first brought our little Ella home!  It took a couple months before he accepted her.  Thank goodness.  They get along beautifully now.  They play on and off all day long, every day.  I will try and post a video on here of the two of them so you can see how much fun they have.  Good luck!!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service