I am at my wit's end, trying to get Duncan's nails trimmed. The last time we tried at the vet's; it took 3 of us to try and hold him still enough, and even then we didn't get all of them done. He was just too stressed out.
I've tried everything I can think of to make it as easy and enjoyable as possible, but no luck. He puts up such a fight, I'm afraid he'll end of hurting himself or someone.
So, I've decided to have him knocked out, that way they can trim his nails as close as possible with the least amount of stress. I know it sounds drastic, but it's my last option. The vet suggested a pill to give him first over the phone before the procedure, until he found out the dog was a corgi. Seems the pills aren't good or don't work well for corgis. So, he'll be knocked out completely, nails trimmed, and then given a shot to wake him up.
What we do for our little furkids.

Views: 1056

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have to agree with some of the others... a professional groomer might do the trick. I know my mom has to give her pug a pill before taking her to the vet for a TNT, but you said your vet tells you pills arent good or dont work well for corgis... try the groomer. Knocking an animal out for surgery is risky enough, in my opinion knocking them out for a TNT is just silly, dangerous, and not to mention expensive, lol! Ludo has no problems with it and even seems to enjoy going to have it done, so I'm not sure why so many other Corgis seem to have issues with it... But as I said, I agree, try the groomer first. :)
I can't do Al alone. He freaks. I hurt him once or twice. But if Lori "holds his hand", reassuring him and distracting him, it can be done.
I learned that from my dentist: she pinched and wiggled my cheek while inserting the needle -- for distraction -- and that's the first time I've never felt the needle at all.
I use a guillotine clipper, BACKWARDS I think: I cut front-to-back, seems more "with the grain", and I sometimes just shave a little off at a time. Make sure you're cutting straight so the nail doesn't twist. Sometimes I only cut off a tiny bit of the tip.
Well, Duncan got his nails trimmed after the knockout shot. He wasn't completely out,though. He would try to struggle a little, but his nails got trimmed short enough this time. I questioned the doctor over giving him the knockout shot everytime about how hard this would be on him over time. He said it wouldn't hurt his health at all, and I could continue doing his nails this way if I thought it was needed. He was starting to come out of the shot just before we were leaving, so I opted not to have the reversal shot. (It was a nice quiet ride home....he hates car rides), But, he was so woozy the rest of the day, that he had an accident trying to get up to go outside. He didn't make it. Of course, I didn't get upset with him.
Like I said earlier, his reputation of being hard to handle on nails clipping must be legendary there at the vets. One tech remembered him from getting bloodwork and how hard he was to handle then at 4 months. Said he was like a little bull, fighting her.
My Butterball also hates his nails vut, but he needs it often. I have found that if I am not around he behaves fine. He goes to a doggy day care once a week so they cut them every other week for me. They wait until he is very tired and then he's not as difficult. I was there one day early and the girl was just starting to cut his nails, he would not stay still and sounde like she was murdering him. lol She had a very difficult time with me being in the area. Since then I he has had them cut several times as long as I am not around. The trainor says it is common for them to misbehave or act out if mom or dad are around. So if you take hime to a groomer or the vet try and leave the room so he can't see you, that might help whoever is trying to cut them have an easier time.
We have a daschund/terrior mix (little guy) and we found it is less stressfull when the vet takes the dog in the back room AWAY from us. The dog HAS to trust the vet/technicians because "Mom or Dad" aren't there! We're the good guys when the vet is done trimming nails and brings him to us and we "get him out of there"!!!!!!
ahhh it took me a while but i usually just get goldfish (ya know, like the kids snack) and give him a goldfish right before i cut the nail.......he usually will let me cut his nails.. its hard but eh finally chilled out a tiny bit.
I think you would be much more successful with the pedi-cure. My dogs tolerate the dremmel much better then the clippers. One great suggestion I have is to have someone help you and have a jar of peanut putter just for the dog. Have someone hold the jar so Duncan gets licks. Do not restrain and struggle. Do a nail or two then massage and relax him. Corgis are notorious for not liking their nails trimmed. I think it has more to do with being restrained or dogs that have been struggled with or quicked in the past. Add massages frequently so your dog learns to relax and enjoy them. Make sure you are relaxed when you trim. Many times it is the reaction to our nervousness about doing them.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service