So, our new puppy Lucy came home to us December 23 at 8 weeks old. The poor baby arrived with tapeworms, they were very obvious when I saw her first bowel movement. I didn't worry too much because we brought her to the vet less than 24 hours after we got her. I brought a fecal sample to the vet when I brought her in and they tested her. She tested positive for Giardia as well as the tapeworms. So, while we were at the vet they gave her Droncit for the tapeworms, an oral dewormer for the tapeworms and Flagyl to take home for the Giardia. She was on the Flagyl for 10 days and when she went off it, she had loose stool again. So, again I dropped a fecal sample off at the vet and this time it came back Coccidia. She started Albon for I'm guessing 2 weeks (I actually didn't count the pills, but there were quite a few). She's been taking the Albon for about 4 days and has loose stool again, so we called the vet and they restarted the Flagyl and gave her Endosorb. We were feeding her Blue Buffalo Grain Free Puppy and switched her to bland when she was having loose bowel movements. She's been on bland for about a week now, and we are waiting until she has more solid bowel movements to reintroduce kibble, but I'm thinking maybe not the Blue because it is chicken based and I'm wondering if maybe that was part of the loose stool in the first place? (maybe she has an intolerance to chicken?)

Anyone have any tips, advice, etc? We have been disinfecting the floor, her bowls, toys, towels and anything else that comes in contact with us or our other corgi (Linus). Linus has also been taking the same meds as Lucy at the same time because he licks her EVERYWHERE. We also clean up her poop immediately and she doesn't go anywhere that she could be infecting others (we have a yard, so we don't walk her yet).

I just feel so bad for the poor thing, she's been on medication since we got her. Is there something else that I could be doing?

Also, our breeder was very upset and has paid a significant portion of the vet bills so far even though from what I've been reading, this is really not something she necessarily could have prevented (she properly wormed/vaccinated for the age of the puppy).

I'm currently feeling really crazed, and reading the internet makes me think my dogs will just be sick forever. Thoughts?

Views: 1978

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jen, 

When you say you are washing her bowls; you aren't washing in the dishwasher with dishwasher soap are you?  I've heard that the use of dishwasher soap can cause bouts of diarrhea too. 

Merrick is a great food; they do not import any of their vitamins or minerals from China (which is what I've heard that Blue does).  We use the grain free Merrick adult for Jozi and she is doing very well on it.  As everyone has said; introduce it REALLY slow though. 

Good luck! 

It will all work out; you are a great Corgi mom! 

CK

In my opinion and many tests of foods and many bouts of meds over the past two years of Jozi's life; one main factor I have found that helps to calm the tummy and firm up the poop or get it going is pure canned pumpkin; no spiced pumpkin, just pure pumpkin.  I give her a teaspoon of it every few days.  I open one can, freeze part of it for later and then give her the pumpkin with a meal.  I also changed her food from Blue to grain free Merrick and we are very happy with the change and you mentioned that your other Corgi licks everything; Jozi used to lick everything including her feet and she was getting abscesses on her legs from the licking but not after the change to grain free Merrick.  

I also used a trick that has stopped bad behavior altogether (Jozi was twirling on the carpet due to a little sore she had and I took a steel coffee can, put in a few quarters and when she started to twirl, I shook the can.  She instantly stopped and the next time before she started to twirl I made eye contact with her and tapped the top of the can and she did not twirl.  She has not twirled for over a week and the can just sits on the table and she is so smart; she knows it is there. 

I was beginning to think that I would have to send her to the circus to teach the other dogs how to twirl! 

Thanks so much,
CK 

Quick question: 

When you say:  "they were very obvious when I saw her first bowel movement" can you describe what any owner should be looking for.   I apoligize if you have to describe unpleasant scenes but I'm not squeemish.

It's something on my mind most of the time as Wally will smell other dogs urine spot and feces, but never tends to grab or lick it.  however, if it's Deer or cat feces, that another ball game.   We tend to walk with an extendable leash and I have to be careful and pay attention to whenever he puts his nose on the ground.  

The other night he crabbed a piece of shellfish along the sidewalks from busted garbage bags left by crows and seaguls.   I'm always worried he's catch something but considering it's winter and dead freeze might not be so bad.   But I remove anything from his mouth when I can.

Tapeworms look like little wiggly grains of rice in the dog's poop. It's quite gross.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service