When I first brough Barney home, I noticed this problem. 
The pet store where I got him from offered water to their pups through a nozzled water bottle which I was against because I find it hard for the dogs to have sufficient water.. Each lick is like 1-2 drops of water! Imagine how hard it is for them to drink. 

Barney also had this bad habit where he would 'dig' his water bowl with his paw wetting himself and the floor (he still does this occasionally when nobody is watching)
During the first week that I had Barney I have the bottle in the playpen while offering water from a dish occasionally. If he doesn't want to drink I will remove the dish so he won't play with water. 
It was not long before I realized that Barney would not touch and drink from the bottle. Not one lick! 
He got his only Water source from the kibbles which I soaked with water because he was teething then. 

Now at 9 months of age where is on dry kibble twice a day and a dish of fresh water the whole time, he still doesn't drink much water!
He only drinks a dish of water (or less) a day. He isn't thirsty despite playing chased and having 2 walks a day.

I have tried putting ice cubes in his dish to encourage drinking but he would put his muzzle in, blow bubbles, take the ice out and play with it. Tossing the ice cube and pawing it. :/
I also tried cold water but he barely drinks.
I tried adding abit of honey.. Failed too.
Tried putting his dish in a different location too. 

I'm currently trying to give him lactose free milk to make up for the lack of water now because we live In a humid country..
He enjoys the milk but I cant give him so much milk a day right? 
I'm at my wits end. Is there any advice on this? I don't want him to dehydrate 

My last resort would be to invest in a electrical drinking fountain which I feel is a waste of electricity and Barney tend to chew on wires too :(

Views: 1527

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had two issues to deal with: eating too fast and drinking enough. I started using a Brake-Fast bowl to slow her down, and floated the kibble in water, so she is forced to drink the water to get all that kibble out of that bowl.

http://www.brake-fast.net/

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service