I was hoping some of you on here could offer me some advice on helping keep stray cats out of my yard.  There are a few cats that roam my neighborhood and have decided that part of my front yard and back yard is a litter box. Initially this didn't bother me until Skyler started digging wherever they would defecate and attempt to eat their poo!  While I now stand outside in my backyard when I let him out to ensure he doesn't eat any, he'll still try and root around for any stray cat poopies until I correct his behavior.

We tried sprinkling cat repellent purchased from Home Deport on the areas the cats liked but that had no affect.  We then put chicken wire down on the grown where the cats used the most and this weekend, as though they were so upset at us, pooped right by our back door and urinated on our lawn furniture!  There were flies everywhere...  :-(

Animal control told me to set out traps, place a can of tuna fish in it, and then bring the cat(s) in to them.  So for the past two days we've done this but the cat has completely avoided the trap and this morning pooped right next to it.  Someone in our neighborhood is probably feeding the cat hence why they're sticking around...  Any advise would be great!

Views: 351

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have no advice but those are some bad-ass cats!

Will animal control euthanize or try and adopt? That would be a main concern for me. If they will euthanize I would consider trying to contact a local rescue willing to take them on.

Strays are a problem for people, but they are also animals that are suffering due to human neglect and lack of responsibility. 

Something most people don't realize about feral cats is that killing them or relocating them does not solve the problem. It just opens up resources for new cats to move into the area. I don't remember what they call it... hang on, busting out the google...ah ha! "The Vacuum Effect" - here is an article http://www.feralcat.com/sarah2.html. The only permanent way to keep them out of your yard is to take measures to make your area unappealing to them. Otherwise, new cats will just keep coming :(

Found this awesome article with some good ideas while I was googling lol...
http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/HOW_TO_KEEPING_CATS_OUT_OF_GARDENS_...
I think I'm going to purchase a Scarecrow!  I've been thinking about getting one for a while.  No better time than now!

What happens to the cat you trapped though?

There are spay/nueter release programs that can help so it puts an end to the reproduction.

I am involved in cat (as well as dog) rescue so this topic hits home for me. 

I heard on the radio this morning that you can sprinkle used coffee grounds and it will keep cats away. You just can't use it where your dog can get to it and eat it

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service