I am a big fan of fluffy Corgis and am so curious how they come about. Do you breed 2 fluffies and get fluffy pups? Do they just happen? I have never seen a fluffy around my town and would love to someday have one. Inquiring minds want to know.

Views: 16160

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When I approached Anne Bowes of Heronsway kennels about obtaining one of her puppies, I found that the only dog of hers that I could afford was either an adult or a fluffy. Anne and I went through the same process that she does for every corgi and nearly one year later I had a spectacular male red/white fluffy. At that time, I asked her how to explain this phenomenom to people who asked about my Linus. She said that yes, fluffies seem to inherit all the best traits of that particular mating (with the exception of the coat). Anne also explained that breeders do benefit from the fluff gene in that it enhances coats in normal coated corgis. The fluffy gene may have been introduced a long time ago when the Welsh were crossing their farm dog corgis with other herding dogs that were strong eyed (unlike the loose-eyed, upright herding corgi). The best way to obtain a fluffy is to contact reputable breeders and specifically request a fluffy...cuz fluff happens!
Anne is confirming my speculation that breeders may have inadvertently selected FOR the Fluffy allele, choosing carriers because of their superior coats (Al & Gwynn may be carriers; they have Fluffy littermates and mink-like coats).
Sometimes recessives can be selected for even if homozygous recessive is deleterious, even lethal. Sickle cell anemia may be like this (homozygous people get quite sick, but heterozygotes have some malaria resistance). Similarly, you can't breed-out the "Bully Whippet" gene because although homozygotes are bullies (too big and slow), the heterozygous carriers make the fastest racers.
I have a Cardigan with incredible blood lines that I could not have afforded if he were a fluff. He's my first corgi after years of collies and shelties - I actually decided on a corgi once I found out that a fluff was possible. I just put the word out through some regional breeders that I was looking specifically for one and they let me know as soon as one was available. The waiting list from this breeder is actually a couple of years (even for pet quality), so I got to bypass to the front of the line for him. I really wanted a blue merle, so it was quite serendipitous. He may not be "showable", but he's already a rock star in obedience so I can get some fancy letters after his name instead of in front like the rest of his line.... ;)

One thing I've heard is that a higher chance of fluffs occur in a dam's first litter.
I don't really care how they occur........... ;-) I just know that all three the corgis I have experience with (including my current girl, Roxy) were fluffies and if and when I get the next one, it will be a fluffy again. The breeder I buy them from have recessive genes in her breeding pool and though she does not breed for fluffies, there is one in every 2 or 3 litters and she does not purposely try to breed the fluffy gene out either. Since she adheres to the defined breed standard, she can not use fluffies in her breeding program and she sells them to those of us who prefer fluffies. If we are responsible (and sensible) enough, we would not breed fluffies from two fluffy parents. To get the best traits of the breed, you need to have both genes present. For example, I have been told that a number of desirable traits are linked to the fluffy gene (posture, bravery, agility) so it is not necessarily a bad thing to keep the fluffy gene in the breeding pool. Keeping in mind that the breed is 1000 years plus old, and fluffies still occur, the originators of the breed must have known this as well...........

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service