I'm not sure how big of an issue this is for anyone else. I also would like to say I have NOTHING against mixes, mutts, rescues, anything in between or far out there. I've grown up around both mutts and purebred dogs. My parents have many shelter dogs and my grandparents are fond of their great danes.

In mentioning my want of a corgi I've heard mostly comments about how there are so many animals in shelters and purebred doesn't mean it's better. When I get a corgi it will be my first official dog. The dogs at my parents were theirs even though I did a lot of the care. I will probably look at puppies because I want it to be trained by me. The best comparison is that this will be the closest I get to ever having a baby.

That being said I'm sure down the road I will have other pets. Who knows how many will be mix or rescue? I volunteer for a local low cost spay/neuter and pet food pantry. I see a lot of animals through that.

But how do you deal with people turning their nose up at you for wanting a dog that's not a mix or wanting a puppy? It's not really their business in my opinion so long as the dog is kept healthy and happy. But I've even had friends remark about it like I'm doing an awful thing by wanting one the way I want it.

Luckily my ever judgemental parents have said they understand. I also would say, it could still happen that I end up finding an older dog, a mix, or any combo, that I just fall in love with.

Views: 605

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i have run into this problem multiple times and it always catches me off guard. it mostly happens at dog parks or pet stores. a few weeks ago i was out walking baden around the apartment complex when a lady asked what breed baden was and went on saying how cute he was, etc. and the moment i said he was a corgi she squinted at me and said "o so hes pure breed?" when i said he was and i had gotten him from a breeder her attitude changed and said i was was one of "those" people who only buy a dog based off looks and i just killed other dogs in the shelter by not adopting. i then explained that this is not the case. i have have had so many adopted dogs and cats from shelters and i love all dogs. regardless of  looks or what breed they are and that i had fallen for the corgi and  that it was none of her damn business that i got my dog from a breeder.

i worked at a vets office for two years and treated every dog that came in like they were my own. i told her not to be so quick to judge just because i happen to find a breed of dog that fits my life style just as a yorki, lab, or poodle would fit someone elses lifestyle.

dont let others bring you down. if u want a corgi from a breeder then u go for it :) follow what u feel is right and if u want to adopt from a rescue then u go for it. dont feel guilty for wanting a puppy from a breeder. people are going to think how they want to. we all fall for a certain breed and corgis just happen to be the breed of dog for us with those smiling faces, short legs, attitude, and that adorable bunny butt :D

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service