Ok, I admit, I am writing this in a fit of passion and I'm sure hate is a bit strong for what I am really feeling but I need your help! I'm going to be totally honest here, at this point and time I CAN'T STAND KIRBY! He is a terror. I'm sure most of you saw my post of him on the kitchen counter, as funny as that was it was just a quick example of hurricane Kirby and I'm at my wits end and don't know what to do with him. He makes Marley (of Marley and Me) look like an angel. Today I came home to find my absolute favorite sandals in the whole world chewed to pieces. He has chewed 2 phone chargers, a blue tooth, pulled textbooks and novels off my bookshelf and shredded them, chewed the bottom out of a chair, climbed on the counter and shredded and/or ate everything he could find, ate an entire bag of ranch sunflower seeds and the list goes on and on.

By now you are probably thinking "why dont' you confine him?" I've tried. He is a little Houdini and escapes any confinement I can put him in. I haven't crated him for a full day yet because honestly I am worried about him tearing toenails or breaking teeth trying to get out of his crate in addition to eating his bedding and peeing/pooping all over the crate. He has escaped ex-pens (extra tall ones) and babygates, I can't lock him in any room because he climbs up on bookshelves and counters and could likely open cupboards. He was fine with free range of the house for the first few weeks I had him so I don't know what his deal is. He has a million toys and gets plenty of exercise so that's not the issue. I can't reprimand him because I rarely ever catch him in the act so I don't know how to teach him this IS NOT OK. Especially eating my favorite shoes :-( I am so sad about that.

Anyway, advice? Suggestions? Stories? I'm wanting to stick it out with this dog but honestly I'm having a hard time even LIKING him at this point because he has done very little to make me want to keep him. Maybe even support or stories of bad dogs gone good?

Views: 5706

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I set up a Skype and left for about 1/2 hour and even though he was FRANTIC he never did escape. He isn't the brightest dog in the world and I think he forgot how he escaped!

Did you ever figure out how he escapes?

How did the weekend go?

Hi Melissa.  First - Hang in there!  I'm sure you are ready to just give him to someone else but I think there is hope for Kirby.  I personally have not had one of my Corgi's behave in such a way but have rescued 2 that had the same issues.  Your story sounds almost exactly like the stories I was told regarding Wally and my beloved Chunky Monkey (I lost my Sweet Chunky last fall)

I have to admit, I was a bit apprehensive bringing them into our home.  I'm not sure if the change of environment or "energy" did the trick but they didn't really have any behavioral issues.  They tested me at first but quickly fit in and are wonderful dogs.  Corgi's have such strong personalities and will try to be Alpha if they get a chance.  It seems like you are doing everything correctly.  I know that Kirby can and Does sense your dislike for him which probably adds to his misbehavior.  Is there anyone you can take him to for a couple weeks?  This might help and maybe he will be better once he returns home.  How old is he?  Have you had him from a puppy or is he a rescue?

Sorry I haven't given you much help but know that I am here for you to vent.  My thoughts are with you.

Stef

He is a rescue. I don't know his exact age but somewhere between 8-12 months. It is clear he had no clear boundaries at his old home and he shows every indication of abuse (including old fracture scars on x-ray). I am having a hard time with him because I dont' knwo how to reprimand him since he was abused in the past I can barely raise my voice and he freaks and then it takes about 2-3 days for him to be "normal" again. So I know part of the problem is probably that I can't really discipline him all that much beyond using positive re-inforcement when possible.

I wish I had somewhere to ship him off for a while but I don't think it'd help because I think he just needs to get used to my home and being left alone. Anywhere where I'd send him woudl likely have people around 24/7 and he is fine when he is home with me, he just has severe separation anxiety so he needs to get used to being left alone.

Have you tried desensitizing him to your leaving?  What I mean is gate him off in a room with access to a door to outside.  Day one leave at random times in increments of 5 minutes without making a fuss and come back doing the same.  Next day, do so in 10 minute increments.  Eventually he will realize that your leaving is not permanent and nothing to worry about.  If he's generally ok already with more than say 10 minutes, you can start with that as your maker.  It's really all I can think of in terms of ways to handle the separation anxiety.  As for chewing, have you tried spraying the things you don't want him to chew with bitter apple or orange spray?

I have not done the desensitizing thing because honestly I just don't have the time. I am currently in school full-time as well as working, this means 6 days a week of 8-11 hours of school, work, or both. Sunday is my only day off right now. My schedule now always has a mid-day break which allows me to go home and walk the dogs. On my 3 work days however my hour lunch is only long enough to get the dogs out for about 20 minutes so on those days they get walked in the morning before I leave, at lunch, and then when I get home. I do give him special treats whenever I leave but at this point this is about as much as I can do. I honestly just don't have the time or energy to come and go at 10 minute intervals after a 10 hour day. That method is the only method I've ever heard to help fix separation anxiety but unfortunately its just not practical with my current schedule. Hopefully with time he will realize I will be coming home each day and will start to mellow out a bit. As for chewing, I would have to coat my ENTIRE apartment, as anything in the apartment is fair game to him be it a table leg, carpet, chair, something on the 4th shelf of a bookshelf, etc. For now all I can do is confine him to an area that he can do the least damage and hope for the best.

Sounds like my coonhound, the problems we had with him, minus the houdine part lol.
Take obedience class, even if it's basic obedience. It'll give him something to do, help you communicated better ( there's always something new to learn) and when at home teach him "leave it" or similar command so he learns "oh... I'm not aloud to touch/destroy that" when you catch him so much as sniffing a potential chew toy.

It worked for us, and we were in the same boat as you with our hound. I was in tears sooooo many times, my husband down right hated him. I was so fed up, I wasn't communicating properly anymore I was basically just throwing bad energy around yelling and flailing, I thought he was to stupid to train, but it turned out I was being to stupid to train him properly ( I'm not calling you stupid! lol).
Once I got my confidence back and followed my trainers advice, things quickly got better. It was/ is just a matter of being consistent, and going to the classes helped me in so many ways. Now me, my husband and my boy are happier lol.

Melissa, I really think you have nailed it down to separation anxiety, along with the abuse issues. I know this is tough for you, but I think patience is the answer here. I wonder, is there any way you can confine him behind a baby gate WITH Franklin? I know they're not best buddies, but having Franklin with him might help with his separation anxiety. If Franklin is calm, it might help him relax. I know it's a tender balance because you don't want him to bond so tightly with Franklin that they can't be separated (we have to watch that with Brodie and Kadi already), but sometimes that added comfort of another dog is what it takes.

He and Franklin get along pretty well but the only problem with baby gating them together is that it would be sort of a punishment to franklin. He is spoiled and sleeps on my bed and/or the couch and I can't confine Kirby to either of htese areas because both my bedroom and living room have bookshelves and since he's hellbent on shredding every book I own I can only confine him to my dining area, which has a dog door to my patio. He can't be trusted anywhere with anything beyond his bed and a few toys. He even chewed a floor mat (luckily not the carpet!) and he has shredded the entire bottom of his bed. All his toys have remained untouched however. If he starts being a bit more trustworthy having him and Franklin together is my ultimate goal because they do play and will lay next to each other.

I completely understand. It's all such a tender balance, too. Did you look into the DAP to see if it might help? Also, are you still using the Ace? Is it helping?

I forgot about the DAP. I will look into that now. I am not using Ace anymore since i had him successfully confined but I am going to talk to my vet/traininer tomorrow since I am still coming home daily to things being destroyed even when I can't find ANYTHING within what I would think his reach would be. Most....frustrating....dog....EVER!

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service