To all our dear friends - I wanted to let you know that we had to let our little boy Remy go on December 28, 2010.

He woke up Christmas morning and was very sick - he did not eat, drink or move all day.   We thought it might be something he ate but started looking and acting better on Sunday.  By Tuesday we could tell there was something wrong and took him to his vet, Dr. Craig Meyer of Lake Travis Animal Hospital .    Dr. Meyer is the best vet we EVER had.   He would spend up to 2 hours with us during an appointment when we were trying to figure out why Remy was having trouble walking when his DM started.   He spent 2 hours yesterday with us making sure we were not overlooking any possibilty that could help Remy.   I know some might say it's because he's charging by the hour - but that's not the case - he really cares about his furry patients and the people who love them!

Dr. Meyer said that sometime in the past few months, Remy had developed a tumor that developed very aggressively.  Dr. Meyer said that it was to the point now that it was pressing on his bladder and that was why he was having trouble.   He said that he had less than a week and was concerned because if the tumor ruptured, he would bleed to death and it would be very painful.    We always thought the DM that caused his lower spine and back legs not to work would be what he would succumb to.  Just last week Remy and I were out on the back deck playing ball and he was running around chasing the ball in his cart - so happy to be outside playing in the warm weather.

We kept him that night and in the morning took him to let Dr. Meyer put him to sleep.   Dr. Meyer offered to come to the house but could not do that until later in the day.   Remy did not look good this morning and we could see he was telling us it was time.

As you know, Remy was "our little boy".   We always knew this day would come and when it did, it would be very hard on both of us.   It's worse than I thought.   We miss him terribly, but know we did the right thing so that he did not suffer.

Alot of people would say "he's just a dog" but he wasn't that to us.

Our house is very quiet and it does not feel right to not have him here.

Thanks for being a part of his happy life!

Karen, Rob & Remy Martin of Travis, the Sweetest Pea in the Pod!

Views: 455

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lynne - thanks for your kind words.   Yes I believe you when you say the pain never leaves.   I was at an event this weekend and the speaker asked the group who had a dog and it made me cry to remember Remy was gone.   Remy, Rob and I were at the Corgi Celebration this year in Buda and probably saw you there.   He was the corge in the red Radio Flyer wagon with his little shoes on.   I was SOOOOO glad we brought him to that event - he REALLY enjoyed that day!    Is that a picture of little Hannah when she was a puppy?   So cute!   Where did you get your corgi?   I know we want to get another corgi, we are just not ready yet.   Thanks, Karen, Rob & Remy
I waited about a year "between Corgis".  I wasn't sure I was ready, but a perfect situation happened and I had to go for it.  I don't remember Remy at the Buda celebration, but I was so overwhelmed by the whole thing (I have several pictures posted on my Facebook page).  I'm so glad you all were there.  Yes, my profile pic is of Hannah when she was 5 weeks old taken at my breeder's house in the front yard.  Time flies; she will be 9 in May.  My breeder no longer has Corgis--just Swedish Vallhunds.  Jamie Bragg would be a good place to start when you are ready.  The hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life (so far) was to say goodbye to my first Corgi (Brandy), so I know how much you are hurting.  They are such special little creatures!  But, through that pain I also knew I would have another Corgi someday because I knew what a loving home I could give it; they are worth all the sacrifices we make, aren't they?  Warm thoughts to you and your family.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service