For the past 3 weeks to a month Finn has had diarrhea and we're having trouble pin pointing the cause. We started switching his food by slowly mixing in the new kind and he was fine, then after getting neutered the vet put him on antibiotics as well as glucosamine supplements for his hips and next thing we know he has diarrhea. We finished the food switch so he is now eating only the new food, then we stopped the antibiotics and I even cut back on the supplements giving him half a tablet instead of a whole one and he still has loose stool. I've now stopped the supplements for the time being and tried adding yogurt to his meals and nothing helps. He had one or two semi normal stools over the past week but the rest are not so good. I don't know if his system has still not recovered from the antibiotics, if the supplements were to blame or if it's his new food even though it didn't bother him until about the same time he started taking the antibiotics. Any suggestions?

Views: 224

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's what I'm thinking. Is there anything you can give them in place of Glucosamine?
I started giving Bertie glucosamine a couple of weeks ago, and his stools are looking pretty loose now too. I wonder if it needs to be built up gradually? Because it does seem to be helping him.
I'm not sure. When our vet told us to put him on it he just said to give 500mg per day. We would give him half a tablet with breakfast and the other half with dinner then I stopped giving him the 2nd half all together but he still had the runs. We're going to give his tummy a while longer to get back to normal then start to introduce the suppliments again. If the same problem occurs I guess we'll just have to see what the vet says.
Two days of solid poop and today we're back to diarrhea and I noticed some blood in it as well. He didn't even bother to eat his breakfast today and when I came home on my lunch break to take him out he had pooped in his crate. He has never done that before so I know he must have felt really bad to do it. I called the vet's office and the vet tech said to withhold food for 24 hours then feed chicken and white rice for a couple days and see if it goes back to normal. If not, we'll have to take him in. She said the blood was probably just from the constant runny stools though the last two days were solid so I don't know. We'll give it a try and see what happens!
How is he feeling now?

I know our dog got Gastritis and we couldn't feed him anything but liquids for three days and then slowly introduce food again. So our pup was on broth only diet and pedialyte (without the fake sugars) to make sure he didn't get dehydrated.

Maybe the ingredients in the Glucosamine tablet has something Finn is allergic to?

Honestly, I'm surprised your Vet's office isn't requesting a stool sample. I would think that would be top priority at this point after the poor baby has been sick this long. Good luck, I hope Finn feels better soon.
The last time he ate was at about 5:30pm yesterday and when he pooped today it was solid. Maybe tonight he'll get chickecken and rice and we'll see what happens. I really don't know that it ws the glucosamine because it started before that with the antibiotics and continued even after we stopped the glucosamine and antibiotics and as I said, for 2 days he was fine then yesterday he's not. Maybe the antibiotics did it and he just hasn't really recovered. I'll keep the Pedialyte on mind.

It was a vet tech that I talked to, not the actual vet and she said it was up to me if I wanted to bring him in now, but usually they recommend trying the bland diet for a couple days to see if that fixes it. I really don't want to have to dish out more money to the vet if it's not necesarry so I'm ok with trying the bland diet first. I'll keep you posted on his progress. Poor guy. :(
has he been real stressed out? i know when ein's stressed he'll get loose stools/diarrhea.
No, he's never really stressed. He's just a happy go lucky kind of guy.
I would definitely take a stool sample to your vet. I know that in humans certain antibiotics can cause an overgrowth of bacteria to develop in the intestinal tract which leads to symptoms similar to a parasite. Not sure if the same is true of dogs, but it is worth checking out.
We fed chicken and rice for two days and Finn did fine. Yesterday we put him back on his own food and he was still fine. He had solid stools and all. This morning I wake up to him having diarrhea in his crate! I don't know what happened. It was awful. I threw out his bedding and toys effected and took him out and he went some more. I think we're going to need to go to the vet. We tried what they told us to but this is getting ridiculous. Maybe it is his food. He was ok with it before but who knows. I'm ready for this to be fixed and I'm sure he is too.
The idea that it keeps coming back suggests the vet should take a look (get a good, fresh sample to bring with you). If they rule out any parasites/bacteria, then maybe they can help you work out a system to try and identify whatever foods may be causing the issue. Good luck, and let us know what happens next.
I made an appointment for Friday afternoon. They didn't say anything about brining a stool sample. I wonder if I should bring one anyway. I've never done that before. In the meantime he was given a chewable Pepto. I hope that helps. I'm always nervous about giving dogs human drugs.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service