Not corgi related, but I need some advice with some kittens I found.

I was walking Vivi in the park this morning, and I found a pair of adorable black and white kittens. They were obviously abandoned, with no mom in sight. It was a huge ordeal getting them back home since I don't have the car or a small enough kennel, but I was able to carry the squirmy kittens all the way home. One of them is very skinny, and the other is better looking. I gave them a little bit of milk since they seem young enough, and the skinny one just lapped it up. I also gave them some plain water, and some dog food mixed with water. Is this okay for them for now? Of course I will buy some kitten food once my husband comes home with the car.

Also, is anyone in the Phoenix area looking for some kittens? They're so cute, and actually seem well socialized with people. Dogs.. not so much. One of them freaked out when I took it near Vivi to try to take it home. I had to take Vivi all the way home, then go and get the kitties. One of them is more timid but still sweet, and the other is always purring and cuddling.

This is the one that is more laid back and calm.

This is the purring cuddler who can't stay still, lol.

Views: 281

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks. We're still trying to decide on what to do. Do you think taking them to a no-kill shelter or rescue would be alright? I'm sure they'd be adopted pretty fast since they're very sweet, and they can get any medical attention they need. I'd hate to put them in a place where they'd be in a cage all day though... My husband told me that no one at his work wants them, and I don't think we can keep them. They seem to be scared of dogs.
I got my kitten from a no-kill shelter, and she was just fine with being in a cage. In fact, she regularly goes into one of the dogs' crates to nap. Kittens frequently go pretty quickly, but it depends on the shelter.

It was very good of you to take them in. You are correct that in this heat they would not have lasted outside.
Hmmm.. I might consider it then. I just want to be sure they find good homes though. But I guess the shelter or especially rescue might do a better job at that than I could.

It's not quite as hot today, but it looks like it could rain, which would have been just as bad, considering the only shelter they had was a little drainage pipe. It's a good thing they weren't scared of me. They actually came right out when I meowed at them. :)
For a litter box for now just use a card board box big enough for them to get in and turn around and cut down so they can get in and put dirt in it. that is what they use outside or sand. and i would take them to the shelter unless you have some one that wants them, if you want you can go to petsmart and walk around and when someone says oh what a cute kitten say "you want one" I have given a way quite a few kittens this way. As far as worms, AZ is not known for worms ( too hot and dry) And i wouldnt worry much about the rabies either I am sure they were only out there for a short time.
Thanks. I took the only cardboard box I had and cut it down to where they could get in or out easily and put some paper shreds in it as another poster suggested. It's a little long, but I think it would work. They're probably not litter trained though. They haven't gone pee or poo since I took them home at around 9 this morning though. Is that normal since they hadn't had much to eat before I picked them up?

That's good to know about the worms and rabies. I had a feeling rabies wasn't a big problem in my area since I haven't even seen a raccoon or any other wild mammal since we moved here last year. I think the worms might still be a problem though since they can get them from their mother's milk.
kittens are pretty much litter trained from the time they are tiny if you give them somewhere to go they will go there. I have a litter of kittens (7) right now that the mother was killed when the kittens were 2 weeks old that I bottle fed, and they have been using a litter box since they were 4 weeks with out any prompting from me other than putting it in with them. I would put them in the bathroom with the food and water and litter box though as they will pee or poo where ever if they are too far from the box, or if they weren't given the option of a box from the previous people they were with. And yes it is normal that they haven't gone yet as they may have been a little dehydrated form being at the park just make sure they have access to plenty of water and the dog food will be fine for them for a while until you get to the store or give them away which ever comes first:)
Thanks for the info! I'm pretty sure I won't be able to find a home for them for quite a while. I might try putting up fliers in the neighborhood for the found kitties.
I feel so bad keeping them in the bathroom. I'm afraid to let them out because I don't want Vivi to be exposed to their possible worms. I know I did the right thing, but I just feel helpless looking at all the shelters that are not taking cats anymore because they have too many!

I mean, even the local animal control shelter charges up to $96 per stray cat turn-in! What am I supposed to do?

If it's possible, if you live in the Phoenix area, please ask around if anyone wants a kitten. It would help a lot. I already posted on craigslist.
I'm in Missouri, so I can't help with taking in another baby kitty (husband sooooo glad!) but I can say that you SHOULD NOT feel bad about keeping them in the bathroom. Cats like safe spaces. I just posted to the other person whose corgi was bugging the kitty. Our vet recommended for our cat to give her a safe space and it saved the day. Our daughter's room is her "dog free zone" and she loves it there. That's why cats like boxes and hidey holes.
I'm sorry I can't help. I send love and support!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks so much. I just don't know anything about cats. I think that's why this is stressing me out. I feel a lot better now that I bought them some real kitten food and a disposable litter box with litter (only after one of them pooed on the floor :/). I wanted to buy the de-worming liquid but I decided not to yet. I read that it's dangerous to give it to them if they're under 2 lbs and these kittens are skin and bones. I'll wait until they fill out a little before getting it.
Oh I wish I could take them! They're adorable. My cat is afraid of my dog, but she has gotten used to him and mainly just stays in the bathroom or the walk-in closet now, or jumps to the table and the kitchen counters to get away from him. I just make sure to give her plenty of alone time with me and she seems to be happy.
If you walk around at petsmart with one of the kittens in your arms I am telling you, you will give it away. do it on Saturday there are more people there and if you say it is free... someone will take it home. I have done it and my sister has also.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service