Hi, I have been potty training with one of those little plastic pools with newspaper in them.  The Breeder whom i got Otto from trained him to go in that.  Works perfectly.  In the beginning I had to sense when he was going to go and i would have to put him in.  A few days ago he was able to jump in on his own.  So he knows to use the pool.  The Question I have is how do I transition him from the pool to a place outside?  I don't really have a yard, but we do have a doggie park 3 houses down.  I havent taken him there because I want him fully vaccinated first.  So i have a month or so before he will be.  Anyone else ever potty train a dog this way?  Thank you...

Views: 49

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just want to be clear - the pool is currently inside your home?

Could you try laying newspaper at a spot outside to see if he'll go? Have you been giving him a command when he gets in the pool, like "go pee" or something? If you have a command, then take him outside and use the command, it might make the transition outdoors and not in the pool easier.
He just goes... Right out of his crate into the pool in the morning and through out the day. We praise him every time we see him do it.... and yes it is inside the house.
If you incorporated a command with it, then it would probably be easier to transition him outside. When he hops in, just before he starts to pee, just start saying "go pee" or "go potty" or whatever it is you want to say. Over time, he will associate that command with going to the bathroom. After using that command for a bit, start taking him outside at times when you know he's going to need to go, and use the command. He might look at you like your crazy for a bit, but if he has to go bad enough, he'll go where you want him to. Then, of course, praise him like mad and give him several delicious treats. Keep going back to that same spot, and doing the same routine. I'm not exactly sure how to phase out the indoor pool usage though. Casey was never given the opportunity to go inside, it was outside from the start, so I don't know how that works.

If you take the pool away, he may just start going in the house, but if you leave the pool while trying to transition him, he might get confused and/or refuse to go outside because he knows the pool is there and that's what he's used to.

Maybe someone who has used puppy-pads or other methods can offer you advice about fading out the indoor-bathroom.
Thank you. I will start that right away... and I shall wait for others and hope they used a spot inside...
Getting them to go on command is infinitely useful, not just for housebreaking or transitioning a dog to go outside. When it's cold, rainy, or you're in a rush at a gas station on a long trip, you will be grateful that you taught your dog to go when you say so.

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service