Tom and I went to Hado-Bar farm in Nova, Ohio today for an introductory herding clinic. Although Tom seemingly had more fun rolling in the hay than herding, it was a great experience! :)

Views: 547

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, Heather!!! :)

How extremely cool!!!!! 

Is there an organization of folks that do herding training with dogs? I'd love to find a place to try that with Cassie & Ruby.

Hi Vicky, we did an intro clinic through a farm in Ohio ... I couldn't find anything at all in Alabama where we now live! I know the Pembroke Welsh Corgi Club of America hosts herding events, but I don't know if they offer training. 

Thanks. I googled herding shepherd dog training Arizona and found several. At least two of them are breeders of Aussies who happen to have farms or horse property. One is within reasonable driving distance. I'm gonna get in touch and see what they say. I LOVE this!!  The videos are so neat and it looks like Cassie and Ruby are made for the activity. Well...obviously they are! :roll:

that's awesome!!! I look forward to hearing how it goes!!! :)

Lol! Too funny... We took Chewey to a corgi herding instinct test last winter in Santa Rosa and it was so much fun to watch. It was fascinating seeing how much variety in instinct there was. Your pics remind me of one corgi in particular who did nothing but roll in (and eat) sheep poop and then trotted around the perimeter of the pen looking very pleased with himself. It was hysterical... Although I felt sorry for his owner because he looked impeccably clean & groomed when he went in, not so much when he came out :-)

Hi Diane, that sounds exactly like Tom but thank goodness he was one of the few who did not eat the poop!! I think that would have horrified me even more haha

Oh, he wasn't the only one who ate sheep poop by a long shot... He was just the most entertaining one.  Over the winter I took Chewey to some additional herding lessons and he started also snacking on sheep poo.   The trainer's (tongue in cheek) theory was that corgi's seem to be a bit more into that than other dogs, perhaps because they are so much lower to the ground ;->

hahaha that sounds like a legitimate reason!! maybe that explains the rolling too :)

I've been taking herding lessons with Jeli for about 5 months now. We didn't start until she was a little over a year. It's amazing to see her work. She really knows what she is doing just by instinct. Me, not so much. I'm finding it the hardest thing I've ever tried to do. But I'm going to keep at it until I get it!!! I feel like I owe it to her because she has so much potential. It's really fun and frustrating all at the same time. Here is a link to see a YouTube vid of her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CemOgJNeS6I. Or type in "Jeli at herding training" you will see her with my instructor. I was taking the vid. It looks like she is just following the sheep, but she is actually keeping them in a bunch walking behind the instructor. This was after only about 6 lessons. I would encourage anyone to give it a try. It's quite fun and it's the only thing I have found that actually poops my wee girly out!!!! :)

I know!   I haven't been recently because of time constraints but I was taking him every weekend over the winter.    Chewey seems to be a natural at it, me, not so much.  It's a lot harder than I would have thought...   I'm not sure who it exhausts more though, me or Chewey. 

Wow!!!! Jeli is awesome!!!!!!! :)

She definitely put Tom to shame!!! I totally can understand what you mean about finding it hard! I was terrified and got knocked around by the sheep a few times. I had no idea where to walk and kept getting in the way. And I certainly had no idea what to do with the stick! 

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service