I bought this for my pup so that we can reward him when we do training.  Has anyone tried this before?  What do you like to use?

Views: 140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You want a value system for treats.

So we use Charlie Bears for regular reinforcement during learning/practice.

We have some bigger treats they like for a final reward at the end of a long (for us-- -meaning a few minutes) training session.

We have very yummy treats we use to highly motivate for special training (something where you want high enthusiasm/immediate response, like looking to you instead of at another dog, or learning that Mops Aren't Scary) and for that we use things like string cheese.

And we have our Super High Value Emergency Recall Training Only rewards: Hot dogs, or Bil Jac treats (which are the grossest things ever and the dogs love them).

Oh, and at the lowest tier are carrots, used for "you should know to do that without a treat, but gosh you look so excited I'll give you one anyway."
Yes, when our corgis were in school, out petsmart trainer used them. We've used everything from carrot sticks, ice chips to jerky.
I use the "Charlee Bear" treats...they look like oyster crackers for dogs. One bag is about $4. One bag got me through about six classes. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3099053

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service