so i have been thinking about this for some time. teddy grows so very fast. he is about 21pounds at 5 months and has recently not been liking his harness. its a blue step in harness and he never use to mind it till i have notice that where the strape go behind his front legs, he is losing hair! so i can imagine that it must be uncomfortable. when i go to put in on he gets really submissive, even with treats and coasing. but once he has it on he gets sooooooo excited and cant wait to go for a walk or bye bye. runs around and just goes crazy haha but i have been looking in to maybe the mesh harness but it might be hot with the 100' summer days here in Charleston, plus his head is a little to big to go through the top lol so what kind of harnesses do u all use? he is a very well behaved gentle (man)corgi so there is no pulling ;P lol any links to what harnesses is greatly appreciated that way i can get a visual of it, ya know? thanks  everyone! 

Views: 222

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ruff Wear Web Master Dog Harness- Best harness I've ever used. Great Stitching, well design and constructed.
o wow, that looks really nice. thank u very much:) im just a little worried that he will get too hot since it will be about a 100 everyday in SC lol
REI has a few that's a harness plus a cooler at the same time. You dip it in water and it stays cool for a long period of time. When it gets dry just wet it again lol.
lol that would be pretty helpful:) the heat down here can just be unbearable but i love to take them places
I don't know if those would work very well. When I was in the Air Force, they had us test a bunch of those out for humans to see if they could help with the heat. They didn't work and actually made us hotter after the initial cool wears off because it would turn into a heavy, hot, restrictive garment. It was horrible.
Oh I didn't know that. The ones I looked at looked thin but I guess if you add water they puff up. I never thought of it that way.
my hubby is in the air force :D, go air force! lol i do remeber that they has the similar ones for the navy when my cousin was in, he said it was unbearable when all the ice melted and it just cooked them :(

I use one very similar to this. It works great. I keep a cooler in my truck/car with water and ice all the time, especially when I take Kota anywhere with me. It gets 100 and above here in the summer too. Ice is awesome because they will always eat it when sometimes they won't drink water, even if they are really hot. Good luck with your search.
thank you, thats another thing i could do to help him out, he loves ice! lol and that looks like a nice harness to use too.
If you use a harness like this, note: I find it much easier to put the harness on/off without using the quick-release buckle. It's always a tangle, and you do not need the buckle at all! Simply slip both loops over the dog's head, then you need to fold the front paws through the chest loop, one at a time. Easy.

NOTE THIS: after my first two hikes with a corgi, I concluded that a corgi couldn't go more than 9 miles. The dog just stopped and quit. I carried the dog back to the car (see below). Later, I found the large sore the harness had rubbed on her breastbone; you'd quit, too, with a harness hurting you like that! So I replaced the harness with a light modified Martingale, the metal chain removed to save weight (see collar FAQ), and found I can't outwalk a corgi. I only use the harness for safety belay on log crossings over dangerous rivers, or for belting into the car.
Also: be aware of the weight of the harness or collar. Make it as lightweight as possible; you're asking the dog to lug that thing around all the time. I don't think a small dog like a corgi needs a harness when a very lightweight collar will do. And once you get the dimensions set, you can sew your own and eliminate all those extra adjustment bockles. It needs to hold a 30 lb. dog, not a car.
Some say that a harness encourages pulling.

thats a really cute pic lol yea i think the harness is irritating his shoulders at times so i try to loosen its as much as possible and then he is good to go. the one i have for him is light weight but rubs the back of his shoulders if i walk both of my dogs and thats when he just gives up cuz he just gets dragged (poor teddy) its cute that u two go on hikes together, today we r going for a 7mile walk in down town charleston but i dont think teddy will make its, after 2 miles he gets tired so im going have to build him up then take him lol
That's really good to know. With the weight thing.. what do you think of the backpacks where the dogs carry their own food? Do you think they would get used to it (build muscle) after a while?

RSS

Rescue Store

Stay Connected

FDA Recall

Canadian Food Inspection Agency Recall

We support...

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Sam Tsang.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report a boo boo  |  Terms of Service